4:1-7 The widow of a prophet was about to lose her children to slavery.
A. Mothers Have an Dedication.
1. This Mother was not out at the dance hall.
q Nor at the cocktail lounge
q Running around on her husband
2. She was at home fulfilling the greatest career of all Motherhood
q When her husband who was a preacher died. He left her with…….
· Two boys
· A large debt
q We think of a mother responsibilities as…..
· Who get up & change the wet sheet & pajamas
· They warm bottle
· They cry a little when you go off to the first grade.
· They eat wings so you can have a "thigh" or a "pullybone".
· Make you wash behind your ears & tell you when you need a hair cut
· Mothers understand when things don't go to well.
· Mothers feed the dog when you forget
· Mothers weep in prayer before God to keep you living right.
B. Mothers have many duties
q She had lost her husband the bread winner
q Now they were going to take her two sons if she could not pay her husband debt.
I. THIS MOTHER KNEW WHO TO MARRIED (V.1)
A. What Are The Keys To A Happy, Strong Marriage?
1. A united purpose to serve the Lord. (Joshua 24:15)
2. Faithfulness. · Without faithfulness there is no real trust or intimacy. (Pro.5:18-19)
3. Commitment (Matt 19:4-6 )
4. Sacrifice: (Rom 15:1-2)
5. Understanding each other's differences & celebrating them. (Rom.15:5-7)
6. Mutual submission (Eph 5:21-33)
7. Love (1 Cor.13:1-13)
8. Communication (James 5:16)
9. A desire to build each other up Prov. 31:31
10. A healthy sex life (1 Cor 7:3)
B. What Blessing Can A Good Wife Or Husband Bring To The Others?
1. Prov.31:10 "10Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies."
2. Pro.31:11 "11The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil"
3. Pro.31:12 "12She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life."
C. Why Should We Be Careful Who We Marry?
1. The person we marry can build us up or destroy us.
· The Bible encourages us not to marry someone who is an unbeliever, because it is too easy for that person to tempt us away from our faith.
· (1 Cor.6:14) "14Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? And what communion hath light with darkness?
II. THIS MOTHER KNEW WHERE TO GO IN THE TIME OF NEED (v.1)
A. The Problem
Ø Her Husband had died leaving her with two sons to raise & no source of income
Ø He had also left her a very great debt which she was unable to pay
B. The Plan
Ø The Mother went quickly to seek the wisdom & help of God
Ø The Mother listened to what God's man had to say
III. THIS MOTHER LOVED HER TWO SONS
Ø Does God Care For the Poor? (Isa. 25:4) 4For thou hast been a strength to the poor, a strength to the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shadow from the heat, when the blast of the terrible ones is as a storm against the wall.
B. Prepared :
Ø She knew where to go in time of need.
IV. THIS MOTHER KNEW HOW TO ANSWER A DIRECT QUESTION.
Ø When you come to the Lord with nothing but trouble.