Summary: God can mold you into what you need to be if you allow Him
A NEW BEGINNING IN THE POTTER?S HAND-Pastor Tim Jones
Jer. 18:1-17, 19:1-2, 10-12
Bible Reading Program?DID YOU HAVE TIME?
Illust: Acorns, Pumpkins and God
1. Many of us here today need a new beginning.
a. God allows 2nd changes and new beginnings.
2. Have you ever wished you could go back and start over?
a. Unpleasant situation of your own making
b. IF only you could take the words back that you said-make different choices
c. SADLY: If most cases, it is impossible to go back and change what has been said or done
Illust: Getting a haircut-cannot get it back, it grows back!
JOKE: A new hair salon opened up for business right across the street from the old established hari cutters place.
They put up a big bold sigh which read:
?WE GIVE $7 HAIRCUTS!?
Not to be outdone, the old Master Barber put up his own sign: WE FIX $7 HAIRCUTS!
3. There is one area of your life that you can have a new beginning:
a. Your spiritual life can have a FRESH NEW START!
4. What do you need today?
a. SAVED? SANCTIFIED? NEED COMMITTED?
SAY TOGETHER: ?God Specializes in New Beginning?
I. GOD IS THE POTTER (V.6)
1. As the Potter, God is a PERSON.
a. Our lives are not in the hands of luck-blind fate-circumstances
b. Our lives are in the hands of the Person: ALMIGHTY GOD
· As a person, the divine potter cares about you!
· He cares about the Choices you make/*The things you do/*The things that happen to you
2. As the Potter, God has POWER over the clay
a. Clay cannot mold itself-only God has power to guide our lives!
b. He is sovereign over all nations and people (v.6-10)
· His POWER is expressed by the pressure of His hands
v.6=as the clay is in the potter?s hand so are you in my hand!
c. The HANDS OF Jesus!
· Nail scarred hands-Hands that died for you and loves you!
3. There is PROOF that the Potter is trying to mold us:
· INWARD CONVICTION-the sense that God is pointing out something in your life that needs changed
· OUTWARD CIRCUMSTANCES-God uses circumstances to mold us
*Afflictions are but the shadows of God?s wings.
*I have always believed that God never gives a cross to bear larger than we can carry. No matter what, he wants us to be happy, not sad. Birds sing after a storm. Why shouldn?t we?
II. MAN IS THE CLAY (V.6)
1. In Jeremiah?s message, the clay represented the Nation of Isreal
a. Nations are made up of individuals-so we should apply it to our lives.
2 Cor. 4:7 ?we have this treasure in earthen vessels?
b. The kind of vessel we become is up to us
2 Tim. 20-21
c. You and I can be a vessel of honor or dishonor
d. Is there anything in your life that is hindering the process of God?
JOKE: The devil made me do it
III. LIFE IS THE WHEEL (V.3)
1. There are 2 wheels associated with the Potter?s work area
· A wheel at the bottom for his foot to turn
· Connected is a vertical shaft supporting a top wheel
---On the surface of the top wheel is where the clay is molded
a. The faster the Potter spins the bottom wheel, the faster the top wheel turns
b. This is determined by the purpose and design for the clay