Summary: A New Beginning - A New Year’s Eve Sermon
A NEW BEGINNING
Preached By Kelvin l Parks
On 31 December 2007 At Gideon Missionary Baptist Church
(v.7) The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
Subject: A NEW BEGINNING
Let us deal briefly with the “B” portion of this scripture and talk for just a few minutes about the fool
THE FOOL -- The text says that fools despise wisdom and instruction.
Well ... I’m a firm believer that a fool typically goes wrong in his life ... somewhere around the beginning. Don’t believe me --- watch this. If you are going to build a house, may I suggest that you find a solid foundation on which to build first?
You see -- only a fool will build his house on sand. Well ain’t that what Jesus said in Matthew 7:26 “And every one that hearth these saying of mine, and doeth them not, shall be liken unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand.” Well, what is Jesus saying --- He saying don’t be a fool
Watch this (v.7) ... the fool
- The text says fools despise wisdom ... which simply means, you can’t tell a fool nothing.
- Proverb 14:9 tells us that fools make a mockery of sin (ain’t no shame in their game)
- A fool will drink all night Saturday and stand up and sing and direct the choir on Sunday,
- cuss folks out all week and serve on the doors,
- A fool will have his mistress right there in congregation and have the audacity to stand up and preach God’s word on Sunday, then justify it by saying that -- well the Lord knows my heart. I am talking about a fool.
- The Bible says in Proverbs 1:22 that a fool hates knowledge. A fool doesn’t want to know better. I have been doing it this way all of my life ... and I aint trying to change.
- Fools, Fools, the Bible call them fools. Fools are:
- Self-sufficient (make it w/o God). You know like the certain rich man in Luke 12:20 that wouldn’t share his riches but built barn and storehouse instead ... and God said “Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee:”
- Self-confident (arrogant) name it and claim it kind of believers. You can hear them from a mile away, they begin every sentence with I.
- Self deceivers ... thinking that they are all of that; high minded
- Full of words -- hot air (talk w/o thinking)
- Then there is the special kind of fool that will even say in his heart that there is no God (Psalm 14:1)
Well I am a firm believer that fools act this way because they flat out ain’t scared of the consequences. However, I want to let somebody know that sin has consequences...
(v.7) Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
(v.8) For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.
So knowing this ... and to keep living any old kind of way ... simply means, I ain’t scared of you; I ain’t worried about the outcome; I ain’t concerned about the consequences.
This type of attitude ... is the same as pumping your fist at God and saying -- You don’t scare me. I ain’t never been scared of ya ... and I ain’t bout to pick the day to start running.