Summary: Our faith has real-life implications. We are called to live a different type of life than we used to live.
• SLIDE #1
• It is amazing how much life changes when one gives their life to Jesus.
• Today we are going to continue with our series, TURNING OVER A NEW LEAF.
• In this series we have been examining some of the contrasts of the old life we used to live with the new life we are called to live in Christ.
• When one gives their life to Christ, our life should be always in the process of transformation.
• SLIDE #2
• This is a tall order for one to follow, and it is impossible to do without the help of the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirt.
• Today we are going to examine what is a call for a new focus for those in Christ.
• Part of the daily transformation process you undergo in Christ has implications for both yourself as we as those who are in your sphere of influence.
• When you look at the title to the message this morning, the title can make this new focus seem REALLY negative and judgmental; however, as we delve into the message, you will see that our new focus is anything but negative and judgmental.
• SLIDE #3
• SLIDE #4
I. An implication of your faith. V11a
• One of the implications of our faith is that we refrain from participating in the fruitless works of darkness.
• The phrase DON’T PARTICIPATE is a call for one to stop sharing together with those who do such stuff.
• It is a call to choose which type of path one is going to follow as Jerry articulated last week in his message on A New WAY TO WALK.
• One of the implications of one’s faith is the choice between walking in the light or participating in the fruitless works of darkness.
• In the previous verses we have covered some of the fruitless works of darkness.
• By works of darkness are meant such things as immorality, impurity, greed, filthiness, silly talk, etc. (5:3, 4), and also those mentioned in 4:25–32; briefly, any and all works belonging to the realm of depravity and inspired by its prince. (Baker NTC)
• They are referred as such because those works do nothing to enhance your life, they offer momentary pleasure and will never fulfill you. The fruitless deeds are incapable of functioning usefully in one’s life.
• They are called deeds of darkness because darkness represents the evil realm, the sphere dominated by evil, sinfulness and ignorance of the ways of the Lord.
• THIS IS ONE THING I WANT YOU TO HOLD ON TO, DARKNESS IS ALSO ABSENCE OF LIGHT.
• That seems like a simple statement, but in a few minutes, you will see why it is an important thought to hold on to!
• You notice the more shady things of life are done in the dark. A thief does not come a night and light up the neighborhood, he is trying to do what he does under the cover of darkness.