Summary: A New Future - (Powerpoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request – email: email@example.com)
Heaven is a Real Place (vs 1)
Heaven is a Remaining Place (vs 1)
Heaven is a Readied Place (vs 2)
Heaven is a Place of Relationship (vs 3)
Heaven is a Place of Relief (vs 4-5)
Heaven is a Place of Refreshing (vs 6)
Heaven will be a Restricted Place (vs 8)
Heaven is a Place of Riches (vs 12b-21)
• A preacher in the open-air was preaching on Jonah.
• A heckler from the crowd yelled, "How did Jonah stay alive inside the whale?"
• The preacher answered, "I don't know. When I get to heaven I'll ask him."
• The heckler said: "And what if he isn't in heaven?"
• The preacher replies: "Then you can ask him."
• Heaven is not just another place but another dimension, another creation.
• Revelation chapters 21-22 give us some hints and clues;
• As to what heaven is like and about what our eternal state will be like.
(1). Heaven is a Real Place (vs 1-2)
• Twice in these opening verses the apostle John tells us what he saw:
• Verse 1: “I saw…” Verse 2 “I saw…”
• I think we read those words ‘I saw…’ 10 times in this letter.
Heaven is a place.
• Not simply a hope, or a dream, or a condition or a state of mind.
• Heaven is a place:
• The Bible talks about three heavens:
• (1). The sky.
• (2). Space.
• (3). Where God is.
• i.e. Genesis chapter 1 verse 1:
• "In the beginning God (plural) created the heavens (dual) and the earth (singular)".
• Note: ‘Heavens’ it is a duel word meaning two.
• (1). Stars & space (2). The sky. (3). The third heaven is where God is.
• You cannot put heaven on a map:
• Or measure it by miles or kilometres,
• Or even light years.
It is a real place:
• Jesus himself said in John chapter 14 verse 2.
• "I am going there to prepare a place for you".
• I have never been to Ashington in the UK;
• But I know it is a real place because I have friends there!
Heaven is not just another place but another dimension, another creation:
• In these chapters it is described as being literal, tangible, and referred to in detail.
• The emphasis here is on what John ‘saw’ with is literal eyes.
• You realise of course that everything that is precious to the Christian is in heaven:
• So if there is no heaven we might as well turn the lights off and go home now!
• Everything that is precious to the Christian is in heaven;
• Seven quick examples:
(A). GOD THE FATHER IS THERE:
• Matthew chapter 6 verse 9:
• "Our Father who art in Heaven".
(B). JESUS OUR SAVIOUR IS THERE:
• Hebrews chapter 9 verse 24:
• "For Christ... entered heaven itself".
(C). ALL CHRISTIANS WHO HAVE LIVED & DIED ARE IN HEAVEN.
• Hebrews chapter 12 verse 22-23:
• "Church of the firstborn whose names are written in heaven".
Note: The word ‘written, or ‘enrolled’:
• Was employed by the Greeks to denote that one was enrolled as a citizen,
• Or entitled to the privileges of citizenship.
• Here it means that the names of the persons referred to were registered;
• Or enrolled among the inhabitants of the heavenly world.
(D). CHRISTIAN - INDIVIDUALLY HAVE THEIR NAME IN HEAVEN.
• Luke chapter 10 verse 20:
• "Rejoice that your names are written in heaven".
• Do you realise that if you are a Christian,
• Your name is recorded in heaven?
• ill: Reserved seat at a concert.
(E). OUR CITIZENSHIP.
• Philippians chapter 3 verse 20.
• "Our citizenship is in heaven".
• ill: Passport might say 'British Citizen'.
• Bible says; 'Citizen of heaven' (Better photo!).
(F). OUR REWARD IS IN HEAVEN:
• Matthew chapter 5 verse 12.
"Happy are you when people insult you and persecute you and tell all kinds of evil lies about you because you are my followers.
Be happy and glad, for a great reward is kept for you in heaven".
(G). OUR TREASURE IS IN HEAVEN.
• Matthew chapter 6 verse 19-21:
• "Store up for yourselves treasure in heaven".
• ill: You might bank with Abbey National or the HSBC;
• Or do what ????? does and hide your money under your mattress.
• But Jesus said it's better to:
"Store up for yourselves treasurer in heaven,
where moth and rust do not destroy,
and where thieves do not break in and steal".
So when you talk about heaven, you are thinking about a place where:
• God the Father is.