Summary: The importance of a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?
13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.
14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:
15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.
16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:
1. 120 Men & Women had a legitimate experience in that upper room.
2. It was a powerful experience (a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind; there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance).
3. Many questioned the validity of this experience (What meaneth this?).
4. Others were cynical and critical of this experience (These men are full of new wine).
5. However, Peter explained that his experience and the experience of those with him was related to the sovereign outpouring of the Holy Spirit and the culmination of God’s plan on the earth in the last days.
6. Many call this the Pentecostal experience, because it happened on the day of the feast of Pentecost (lit. feast of weeks and/or harvest).
7. The theological implication is that the Holy Spirit has been poured out to bring a great last day harvest.
AS PENTECOSTALS, WE PLACE GREAT IMPORTANCE ON PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.
BECAUSE WE PLACE GREAT IMPORTANCE ON PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, SOME HAVE CALLED US TOO SUBJECTIVE OR OVER EMOTIONAL. SOME FACILITATORS OF RELIGION HAVE IMPRESSED UPON OTHERS THAT WE ARE THEOLOGICALLY BANKRUPT.
SO, WHILE OTHERS ACCUSE US OF BEING TOO EMOTIONAL, I BELIEVE THAT THEY AREN’T EMOTIONAL ENOUGH!