Summary: An amazing prophecy that points us directly to what Jesus did for us.
A PICTURE OF SALVATION BEFORE SALVATION WAS POSSIBLE:
- “Angel of the Lord” generally means pre-incarnate Jesus in OT passages.
1. We are morally filthy.
- Isaiah 64:6.
- The Hebrew for “filthy” literally means “excrement-covered.”
2. Satan (accurately) accuses us.
- Zechariah 3:1b.
3. We are chosen by God and rescued from the fire.
- See illustration about John Wesley in The Burning Heart, p. 29.
4. We are made clean by God’s actions, not our works.
5. We are made into beings God can entrust with His house.
- Romans 6:2.
SYMBOLS OF THINGS TO COME:
1. This will come through a descendent of David.
2. A stone will anchor a new people.
- Zechariah 3:9a.
3. This is possible because somehow sin will be wiped out in one day.
- Zechariah 3:9b.
4. It will ultimately lead to a time of peace and prosperity.
A FINAL POINT: The priest’s name is “Joshua,” which means “Yahweh saves.”
- Zechariah 3:1, 3, 8, 9.