Summary: This message challenges Christians to take inventory of the past year and give encouragement to grow as a disciple in the next year
A Plan for Growth in 2005
I. I Must Find Some Dissatisfaction
“…I do not count myself to apprehended…” v. 13a
A. I must find my comfort zones
• Am I comfortable with my Bible study?
• Am I comfortable with my?
• Am I comfortable with my prayer time?
• Am I comfortable with my personal and corporate worship?
B. I must decide whose standard I am going to pursue
1. Are your standards based on comparisons with other church people?
2. Are your standards based on the world’s standards?
3. Our standards should be measured against God’s word
“Whatever you do in word or deed do it as unto the Lord” – Col. 3:17
II. I Must Find Some Devotion
“..but this one thing I do..” – v. 13b
A. We must be devoted to our calling as believers
B. We must get devoted in church attendance
C. Our Master will determine the direction of our Devotion
• Would Jesus say you lack one thing? – real devotion
III. I Will Find Some Direction
“Forgetting those things which are behind…” v. 14
A. Constantly Looking Back Will Hinder Future Success
1. We must learn to forgive ourselves of the past
2. We must recognize that Satan will always remind of us past failures
“No matter what you did in the past, your future is clean” – John R. Rice
B. We Must Learn that Failure Teaches
1831—FAILED IN BUSINESS, WENT BANKRUPT
1833—BACK ON HIS FEET, FAILED AGAIN
1838—RAN FOR SPEAKER OF HOUSE, WAS DEFEATED
1840—ELECTOR, WAS DEFEATED
1843—CONGRESS, WAS DEFEATED
1848—CONGRESS, WAS DEFEATED
1855—SENATE, WAS DEFEATED
1856—VICE PRESIDENT, WAS DEFEATED
1858—SENATE, WAS DEFEATED
1860—WAS ELECTED PRESIDENT, ONE OF THE GREATEST WHO EVER LIVED.
BABE RUTH HELD THE HOME RUN RECORD FOR MANY YEARS…HE HELD ANOTHER RECORD TOO…STRIKEOUTS.
“SUCCESS IS THE ABILITY TO MOVE FROM ONE FAILURE ON TO THE NEXT.” -
C. We Must Learn the Direction of God
1. It is always forward
• Israel at the Red Sea
• Israel at the Jordan
• Israel in Egypt
• Jesus and the Great Commission
IV. I Must Find Some Determination
“I press toward the mark…” v. 14
A. You must determine to stir up the area of comfort
B. You must determine to stand up and be a disciple
C. You must determine the direction God is leading you