Summary: A Comparison of faith and works.
JAMES 2:14-26 “A SCREEN DOOR ON A SUBMARINE”
A) Faith without works is like a song you can’t sing,
* It’s about as useless as a screen door on a submarine! * James makes the same point:
* Faith without works is dead, noting that works is what defines a Christian life.
* There are those who read this scripture and say, “What about the Apostle Paul’s belief that we’re
saved by grace through faith?”
* “We can’t work our way into heaven; it’s only through faith!”
* Martin Luther said, “The most damnable heresy that has ever plagued the mind of man was the
idea that somehow he could make himself good enough to deserve to live with an all-holy God.”
B) So, which is it: faith or works? Paul or James?
* First, we have to understand the context within which each of these men wrote.
* Paul was writing to non-Christians who believed they could work their way into heaven.
* If they maintained the proper ordinances, followed the script, and did the “right” thing, they
were guaranteed a place with God.
* Paul was attempting to undo this belief by offering God’s grace, the idea that we can do nothing
to earn God’s favor. * He loves us, and when we come to faith in His Son Jesus Christ ...
* God’s grace showers down upon us.
C) James, on the other hand, was writing to Christians,
* Those who had already come to faith in Jesus Christ.
* The tone of his letter is one of irritation - v.20
* He’s asking them questions about Abraham and Rahab, almost sarcastically, with a “don’t you
get it” type of attitude.
* In speaking to fellow-believers, James was pointing out that faith and works do not stand in
opposition to one another! * James is telling Christians this .......
D) It is only through works that faith can prove and demonstrate itself!
* And it is only through faith that works will be attempted and accomplished.
* Faith is bound to overflow into action, and action begins only when someone has faith in some
great cause or principle, which God has presented him or her with!
* Example: Marlene Moore and the nursery!
* It is a picture perfect example of Marlene’s faith overflowing into works!
* Faith had to be in place for her to have an understanding that God was leading her, and it was
only through works that the ministry has evolved into what it is today!
E) Faith without works is like a screen door on a submarine; it’s useless!
* When I have a headache or a sore back, I take Aleve to feel better!
* Faith without works would be like my going to the medicine cabinet, pulling out the Aleve,
believing that it will make me feel better, looking at the bottle and putting it back!
* Believing that it will make me better, but not putting that belief into action, does me no good!
* That is James’ point ... What good is your faith if you’re not putting it into practice?
* Let me give you a good example of what I am talking about .......
F) We stepped out in faith with a budget that reflects the mission and ministry of this church,
* But if that faith is not followed with works, it too will be dead!
* Meaning if the approval of our budget, which is the faith, is not followed by each person’s