Summary: How we treat sin and sinners are key aspects to our discipleship.
1. Deer Hunting Embarrassment
It was Saturday morning as Jake, an avid hunter, woke up ready to go bag the first deer of the season. He walked down to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee, and to his surprise he found his wife, Alice, sitting there, fully dressed in camouflage.
Jake asked her, "What are you up to?"
Alice smiled. "I'm going hunting with you!" Jake had many reservations about this, but reluctantly decided to take her along.
When they arrived at the hunting site, Jake set his wife safely up in the tree stand and told her, "If you see a deer, take careful aim and I'll come running back as soon as I hear the shot." He walked away with a smile on his face knowing that Alice couldn't bag an elephant, much less a deer.
However, within ten minutes, Jake was startled as he heard an array of gunshots. Quickly, Jake ran back. As he got closer to her stand, he heard Alice screaming: "Get away from my deer!"
Confused, Jake raced faster towards his screaming wife. And again he heard her yell, "Get away from my deer!" followed by another volley of gunfire!
Now within sight of where he had left his wife, Jake was surprised to see a cowboy, with his hands high in the air. The cowboy, obviously distraught, said, "Okay, lady, okay!!!! You can have your deer!!! Just let me get my saddle off it!"
2. We all have done embarrassing things – what do you want to happen when you realize what you have done? Generally hide it!
3. John 8.1-11
I. Yeshua (Jesus) and the Accusers
A. Their Actions of Accusation
1. The attempt to entrap
2. Accosting the woman – she WAS Guilty (Exodus 20.14)
3. Appeal to the Letter of the Law
b. Romans prohibited Jewish death penalties – did not prevent some stonings – 58 Then they cast him out of the city and stoned him; and the witnesses laid down their garments at the feet of a young man named Saul. 59 And as they were stoning Stephen, he prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” Acts 7.58-59
B. Their Attitude of Arrogance – Missed the Heart of God
• 23 Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, says the Lord GOD, and not rather that he should turn from his way and live? Ezekiel 18.23
• For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings. Hosea 6.6 (AV)
• 9 The Lord is not slow about his promise as some count slowness, but is forbearing toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3.9
C. Yeshua’s (Jesus’) Appeal to Consciences – By Word and Action (John 8.6-8)
1. Remember YOUR sins
2. A Dramatization of Jeremiah 17.13
O LORD, the hope of Israel, all who forsake you shall be put to shame; those who turn away from you shall be written in the earth [dust], for they have forsaken the LORD, the fountain of living water.