Summary: A sermon examining the events of the Tribulation
A STORM IS ON THE WAY
For the past couple of weeks meteorologists were tracking Hurricane Florence and doing their best to determine when and where it would make landfall. At one point this storm was near 500 miles wide. That is bigger than the state of Tennessee. Officials predicted a life-threatening storm surge and rainfall levels to portions of the Carolinas and mid-Atlantic states. The projected size and strength of this storm prompted government officials to issue a mandatory evacuation for North and South Carolina. Currently thousands of evacuees are displaced throughout the southeast as a result of this storm. But they are safe and alive because they made preparations to survive the storm. Sadly, at least 11 people did not survive the devastation of this storm. There are also hundreds who attempted to ride the storm out who are currently in grave danger.It seems that in every storm of this magnitude, there are certain people who refuse to heed the warning that a major storm is on the way. They see the forecasts.... they hear the warnings, they have every opportunity to evacuate... But they blatantly disregard the facts and refuse to make the proper preparations, and for many has cost them their life.
- Today I want to tell you about a storm far greater than anything this world has ever seen. I can't tell you when it will make landfall but when it does there will be no place to hide! The storm that I am referring to is the storm of God's wrath!
- Matthew 24 tells of a time known as "The Time Of Jacob's Trouble." This phrase is found in Jeremiah 30:6-7. In these verses, the nation of Israel, is portrayed as one who is about to give birth. She is pictured as suffering great pains and enduring great agony. Nothing this world has ever seen can compare to the misery that Israel will endure in those days. The time of Jacob's trouble is a phrase that may be foreign to you, but you have likely heard it referred to as "The Great Tribulation".
- There are two main purposes of the Tribulation period. The first purpose is to purge the people of Israel.
Ezekiel 20:37 And I will cause you to pass under the rod, and I will bring you into the bond of the covenant: 38 And I will purge out from among you the rebels, and them that transgress against me: I will bring them forth out of the country where they sojourn, and they shall not enter into the land of Israel: and ye shall know that I am the LORD.
- The Nation of Israel rejected Jesus as Messiah and they took part in His death. But God will use the time of Jacob's trouble to prepare Israel for Jesus' return. At the time of His appearing, Jesus will be greeted by remnant of the Jewish people who believe in Him.
- Another purpose of the Tribulation will be to judge the Gentiles. In Romans 1:18 Paul said "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness". Then In Revelation 19:15 John describes Jesus at His return, he said that "out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God."
- For thousands of years men have rejected God's call to repentance... they have rejected His amazing offer of salvation. When the Tribulation comes, God will judge their sin!
- Without a doubt there are people in this building who have never trusted the Lord Jesus Christ as their personal Savior. My friend, if Jesus returns in your lifetime you will face this time of devastation and judgment. It is for that reason that I want to sound an alarm today. I want to walk through these verses and preach on the fact that "A Storm Is On The Way"
Whenever inclement weather is in the area, the local news channels will interrupt regular scheduled broadcasting and inform the public as to the possible danger. When a hurricane makes landfall or when a tornado has been spotted they will warn the people in the path of the storm to make preparations and to take cover.It is their goal to reach as many people as possible in time for them to protect themselves from the effects of the storm.
- In Chapters 24 & 25 of the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus warns that a storm is on the way! I want to look at three warnings that Jesus provides in this passage. The first is found in v37: