Summary: This Psalm gives five instructions for giving thanks
Only Ps with title of “Psalm Of Praise”
Series of 5 commands given.
Thankfulness seems to be a lost art today. Warren Wiersby illustrated this problem in his commentary on Colossians. He told about Edward Spencer a ministerial student in Evanston, Illinois, who was part of a life-saving squad. In 1860, a ship went aground on the shore of Lake Michigan near Evanston, and Edward Spencer waded again and again into the frigid waters to rescue 17 passengers. In the process, his health was permanently damaged. Some years later at his funeral, it was noted that not one of the people he rescued ever thanked him.
The most intense moments of thankfulness are not found in times of plenty, but when difficulties abound.
- Pilgrims - Half their number dead,
- People without a country,
- Still there was thanksgiving to God.
- Gratitude was not for something but in something.
- Abraham Lincoln establish Thanksgiving midst civil war when the butcher’s list of casualties seemed to have no end
- Nation struggling for survival
We Must Learn To Be Thankful or we become:
3. Arrogant & Self-Satisfied
A Proclamation For Thanksgiving
1. To whom the address is given — to "all lands, "
2. The subject of the address — "Make a joyful noise."
3. By whom the address is given, — The LORD
I. Give Thanks With Enthusiasm
Make a joyful Noise to the LORD, all you lands –v.1
A. Make a joyful shout.
- A Call for Praise
- Shout God has accomplished something so good you can’t keep it inside any more.
- From the depths of your being you shout your joy unto the Lord.
- Shout indicated the earnestness of the heart
1). A shout of loyalty and homage
- Praise the Lord Every nation!
- None are left out
- Form a cheer for God
2) "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come" (Revelation 4:8).
3) "You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being" (Revelation 4:11).
- What excites you about Christ
- I will tell your name
II. Give Thanks With Joy
Serve the Lord with Gladness (verse 2a).
- Whom do we serve?
A true heart,
1. Is humble—serves.
2. Is pious—"serve the Lord."
3. Is active—serves.
4. Is consequently joyful
- The command is not to serve people or things
- This word reflects the joy in living in harmony with the Creator, Redeemer, and King.
- The only ways we can live in harmony with God is to be a servant.
III. Give Thanks With Sincerity
Come before His presence with singing (verse 2b).
- Church Born in Song
- Bethlehem , & before the cross
- Continues forever in Song
- Song expresses emotions
where talking can’t
- Note these first three commands?
- He has said, "Shout with joy, serve with gladness, and come with joyful songs."
- Doesn't it sound like God wants you to be happy in worship?
1. Glorifies Christ
2. Resist’s Satan
3. Releases your spirit
4. Delights the heart