Summary: Wolves wearing a fleece doesn't make them a sheep!
A Tree is know by its fruit
Value messages to the believers
Luke 6:43-45- Mt 7:15-20
43. "For a good tree does not bear bad (corrupt fruit), nor does a bad (corrupt) tree bear good fruit.
44. "For every tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they gather grapes from a bramble bush.
45. "A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.
Mt 7:15 ¶ Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves.
I am combining Luke’s version with Matthew’s version, following the Sermon on the Mount, which is a sermon of blessings.
Jesus gives some value messages to the believers!
Jesus has told us already in previous scriptures:
1. Love our enemies
2. Do not judge
3. Fruit testing/ being and doing
a. A tree is know by its fruit
Matthew adds a verse in 7:15
I. Beware of false prophets
a. Between the teacher and his work
b. Wolves wearing a fleece, doesn’t make them sheep
1. Look like a sheep- act like a sheep on the outside
2. Inside they are ravenous wolves (extortioner- robber, out to kill steal and destroy)
3. Their eternal nature eventually product the external product.
Remember the phrase can’t pull the wool over my eyes? That is what wolf in sheep’s clothing is trying to do. He is trying to cover the real self with false covering that you can’t see the truth.
Meaning; to deceive or hoodwink, hid ones real motives by pretense the word hypocrites comes to mind as the scribes and Pharisees of the religious world sought their agenda instead of God’s agenda pretending to do God’s will.
II. A tree is known by its fruits
1. Fruit test- foundation truth- built on the Lord’s word
2. Known by its action: works prove who you are
3. It is not always who you say you are.
Parable of the good Samaritan
30. and Jesus answering said, a certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.
31. and by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
32. and likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.
33. but a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,
34. And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.
35. and on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendeth more, when I come again, I will repay thee.
36. Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbor unto him that fell among the thieves?
37. And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.
People are doers of what they advocate. Whether it is good or evil! The real character of a person will come out and they live as who they are. Who we are really inside! Why Jesus says we must be born again of in- corruptible seed which are the right rots for producing right fruit.
James 3:10-12 talks about the tongue
10. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
11. Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?
12. Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? Either a vine, figs? So can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh?
A. 2 kinds of trees
1. Produces sin- fruit- characteristic of evil
Gal 5:19. Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20. Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, sedition's, heresies,
21. Envying, murders, drunkenness, revelings, and such like: of which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Bitter, natural carnal minded, selfish and deceitful:
2. Produces the spiritual fruit
Gal 5 22-26
22. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23. Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.