Summary: God’s chastisement to His disobedient children.
HEBREWS 12: 5-11 “A TRIP TO GOD’S WOODSHED”
A) I heard about a young boy that went off to one of these extremely expensive universities.
* The bills were coming in monthly to these parents, & they were struggling to keep their head
above water. * One day his mother received a letter from him that read like this:
* Dear Mom: I’m writing to inform you that I have flunked all of my courses.
* I had an accident and totally wrecked my car, I owe the clothing store in town $2000,
* And I have been suspended for the next semester because of misconduct.
* I am coming home, prepare Dad! * His mother wrote a one line letter back to him that just said
this: Dear son: Dad is prepared, prepare yourself.
B) God is prepared to deal with his children when they sin!
* God has a woodshed, and if you are one of his children, before you get through this life you will
make more than one trip to it.
* You see, there are three ways God could deal with us when we sin.
C) First of all, God could condemn us.
* Even after a person is saved, the first time they sin God could just go ahead and send them to
hell. * But God wont do that, for the Bible says in Rom.8:1 "There is therefore now no ......."
D) Then again God could condone us!
* God could just stick his head in the sand and ignore our sin and overlook it.
* But God cannot and will not do that because He is a holy, a righteous, and a just God that lets
no sin go unpunished! * God always has to deal with sin because of His character!
* But the third way that God could deal with us, and the way he does deal with us is,
E) He can correct us! * You see, if God condemned us after we sinned,
* Then that would be pure legalism; that is, if you sin you go to hell!
* If God condoned our sin, that would be liberalism, where God would just simply say that sin is
no big deal and let it go. * But the third way, God’s way is love!
* The Lord Himself said in Rev. 3:19 "As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous ......."
F) Here in this passage before us we have described for us a trip to God’s woodshed!
* We find here the doctrine of divine discipline.
G) The powerful reasons for discipline!
* We need to understand immediately that the purpose of discipline is not to discourage us, it is to
encourage us. The word "exhortation" in v.5 literally means "encouragement."
* Now how could the discipline of God possibly encourage His children?
* It confirms our identity - v.6-7 "For whom the Lord loveth He chasteneth, and scourgeth ......."
* One of the marks that you are a child of God, is the discipline of God on your life when you sin!
H) Now God whips His children, but God whips only His children!
* If your kids are playing in the yard with the neighbors’ kids, and they begin to misbehave and
get into a fight, whose kids do you discipline? * Well, you certainly not the neighbor’s kids!
* At least if you’re smart, you discipline your own.
* I know some parents are like the mother who brought her little boy to school one time, & she
said to the teacher: "Now Johnny is a little bit nervous and slightly hyperactive,