Summary: 1. We must declare God’s might (vs. 1-6). 2. We must declare God’s majesty (vs. 5 & 10-13). 3. We must declare God’s mercy (vs. 8-9 & 14-21).
A Vital Goal for the Next Generation
Sermon by Rick Crandall
McClendon Baptist Church - October 3, 2010
*Goals are important in life. A wise man once said, “If you aim at nothing, you'll hit it every time.” And that is true. On the other hand, Les Brown once said: “Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.” (1)
*Goals are important in life. And they are important in the Christian life. The Apostle Paul demonstrated this truth for us in Phil 3:12-14. Listen to Paul’s greatest goal from the New Living Translation:
12. I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me.
13. No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead,
14. I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.
*Goals are important in the Christian life, and one of the most important goals focuses on the next generation. King David reveals this goal to us in vs. 4, where he tells God: “One generation shall praise Your works to another, And shall declare Your mighty acts.”
*This goal is the key to our church’s past, and it’s the key to our future.
-This goal is woven into the very DNA of our church.
-It is where we came from, and where we must go.
*It’s our turn to speak to the next generation. But what shall we say?
1. First: We must declare God’s might.
*King David declared God’s might in vs. 1-6:
1. I will extol You, my God, O King (“Extol” just means “exalt,” “lift up high.”); And I will bless Your name forever and ever.
2. Every day I will bless You, And I will praise Your name forever and ever.
3. Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised; And His greatness is unsearchable.
4. One generation shall praise Your works to another, And shall declare Your mighty acts.
5. I will meditate on the glorious splendor of Your majesty, And on Your wondrous works.
6. Men shall speak of the might of Your awesome acts, and I will declare Your greatness.
*What will we tell the next generation? -- We must speak of the might of the Lord’s awesome acts! We must declare His greatness!
*People need to understand that Jesus Christ is the Mighty Son of God!
-God’s Word tells us that Jesus is:
-The Almighty -- The Alpha and Omega
-The Author of Life -- The Author of Salvation
-The Bread of Life -- The Creator of all, -- Deliverer
-Emmanuel -- God with us -- Faithful and True -- Firstborn from the Dead
-The Good Shepherd who gave His life for His sheep
-The great I Am -- The Judge of the living and the dead
-The King Eternal -- The Lamb of God
-The Light of the World -- The Lord of All
-Our Protection, Redemption and Righteousness
-The Resurrection and Life
-Our Rock, -- Our Savior