Summary: God is a God of grace and mercy. He delights in pursuing sinners! What could make this God give up on a man and hand him over to his sin? Our text begins the answer to this question. A holy God must judge sin.
Salvation: Why? and How?
or, SALVATION: ITS NEED AND PROVISION
Romans Chapters One to Five
Calvary Baptist Church
Series Begins Sunday, September 30, 2012
Sermon 5: When God Says "Enough"
November 11, 2012
• In our 1st three sermons, we were in the section of Romans that I have called the salutation (1:1-17).
• Last week we moved into the section of Romans that we call "Sin."
• Paul is laying the foundation of showing the need of salvation.
• This part of Romans is divided into three parts.
• In Section 1, found in Romans 1:18-32, Paul reveals that the Gentiles are lost and condemned before God.
• Then, in Section 2, found in Romans 2:1-3:8, Paul writes that the Jews are lost and condemned before God.
• Finally, in Section 3, Romans 3:9-20, Paul concludes that all the world is condemned.
• We are preaching this first section, the condemnation of the Gentiles, in two parts.
• Last week, we looked at the reason for condemnation.
• God is a just Judge, He is not arbitrary in His judgment.
• Today, we begin looking at the results of condemnation.
• It will take us two sermons to move through this portion.
• While this is no topic for a motivational speaker type preacher, it is necessary for a pastor to teach these truths to the church.
• One final note by way of review, it is very important that we remember the theme of last week's message:
1) God Revealed (In Nature)
2) God Rejected (By Idolatry)
• Like most conservative Christians, I went to bed with a heavy heart on Tuesday night.
• Our country made a choice that moved it farther away from God.
• I know that we didn't have the best choice available to us, but America chose the worst choice.
• I will have more to say about this in a different setting.
• In such a situation as we now have, we must remember that Paul ministered under a government far more hostile to faith than this one.
• We must remember that Christianity spread through a world filled with horrible vices.
• We must remember that even in Israel, a theocracy, Kings persecuted the prophets and true faith was often pushed into the corner, even into hiding.
• So we must be salt and light.
• I am very worried about the fiscal situation in America.
• But my greater concern is for marriage and for the unborn.
• We must look back into the source of Gods' truth (His Word) and hear from God afresh today.
The Judgment of God: When God Says "Enough"
ILLUS: When Hispanic women say, "Bastante!" to their children.
Romans 1:24-27 (KJV) 24 Wherefore God also gave them up
to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
26 For this cause God gave them up
unto vile affections:
for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: