Summary: Knowing God intimately.
ABBA FATHER Romans 8:15
In Scripture there are many different names used to describe God. While all the names of God are important in many ways, the name “Abba Father” is one of the most significant names of God in understanding how He relates to people. The word Abba is an Aramaic word that would most closely be translated as “Daddy.” It was a common term that young children would use to address their fathers. It signifies the close, intimate relationship of a father to his child, as well as the childlike trust that a young child puts in his “daddy.”
While most people, at least those who do not irrationally deny the existence of God, would claim that all are “children of God,” the Bible reveals quite a different truth. We are all His creations and under His authority and Lordship and will all be judged by Him, but being a child of God and having the right to truly call Him “Abba Father” is something that only born-again Christians are able to do.
Understanding that not all people are children of God and that becoming a child of God only happens when you are adopted by God through faith in Christ Jesus.
The fact that we speak of God as “Abba, Father” suggests five things.
I. THE REVELATION OF RELATIONSHIP.
1. There was a time when we were not the true sons of God.
a. As to parentage, we were the children of the Devil; John 8:44. Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
b. As to character, the children of disobedience; Ephesians 5:6. Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
c. As to destiny, the children of wrath; Ephesians 2:3. Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
2. The idea of the universal Fatherhood of God implies the universal brotherhood of man and this is unscriptural because the Fatherhood of God is faith-limited; Galatians 3:26. For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
3. It is utterly impossible to have spiritual relationship with God as Father apart from the power and operation of the Holy Spirit; Romans 8:9. But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
II. THE REVELATION OF PERSONALITY.
1. There is no position which men take that is more ridiculous than to assert that God is impersonal. To speak of Him as being principle, force, matter, law, truth and then talk about praying to Him is the height of folly.
2. When the Lord Jesus directed His disciples to pray, He directed them to pray to One who could both hear and answer prayer; Matthew 6:9. After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.