Summary: What qualifications would Abel have for being included in the Hall of Faith (Hebrews 11)
Abel was a shepherd. Cain was a farmer.
Cain would end up making Abel the first person martyred for the truth. What led to this extreme act of violence?
I. The Offering
A. Two different offerings
1. Abel offered fat portions from the
firstborn of the flock. (4)
2. Cain offered some of the fruits of
the soil. (3)
B. Two different results
1. The Bible says that God looked
with favor on Abel’s offering. (4)
2. The Bible also says that God did
not look with favor on Cain’s
The obvious question would be, “Why did God
look with favor on Abel’s offering and not
II. God’s Reasons?
We must first realize that no reason is
given, but let us examine some
A. The Amount?
1. No Biblical mandate (i.e. 10%) had
been given prior to this first
2. Perhaps Cain knew he was cheating
God (Maybe another Ananias &
was giving sacrificially.
3. Perhaps Cain chose from the less
desirable of the crop or the
surplus while the Bible says that
B. The Attitude?
1. Perhaps Cain came with a disgust
for the idea of having to bring an
offering to God.
2. Perhaps Cain came with a spirit of
pride wanting to upstage his
III. The Response!
1. Cain became angry over the issue.
2. He was warned by God about the
dangers of sin controlling his
3. He shows his true colors in the
murder of his own brother, and in
his ignorance, plays clueless
before God. JUST like? Yep! His
1. Do we learn from those who made
mistakes in the past.
2. Do we give as we are commanded to
give (tithe) and are led to give
3. Do we give the with the right