Summary: Some simple steps Needed to reach the lost
Accurate Mindset for Evangelism
Jn. 15:16; Lk. 19:13
Bishop David Ibeleme
God’s heartbeat is Evangelism/soul-winning – Lk. 19:1-10; Mt. 9:35ff.
Jesus was a soul winner – 1 Tim.1:15; Lk.19:10.
Soul Winning is the greatest call. Every other call can only be second to this call – Eph.4; 2 Cor. 5:9ff; Rom. 10:8ff; Jude 1:21-23.
Every believer (clergy & laity) is called upon to bring the light of God’s word to their community – 1 Tim. 3; 1 Tim. 6:12.
We are Christ’s ambassadors – 2 Cor. 5:17-20.
1. We are here to take over – Obad. 1:17; Is. 2:2-4; 4:5.
We are strategic in God’s redemptive plan.
To demonstrate Satan’s defeat – Col. 2:15; 2 Cor. 2:14.
We are to manifest His glory – Hab. 2:14; Matt. 5:13-16.
Jesus said occupy till I come – Lk. 19:13.
We are the continuation of Jesus’ ministry on earth – Ps. 103:1-3.
2. We must follow or imitate Jesus in order for us to manifest His glory.
Jesus has set a pattern for us to follow.
(Elijah & Elisha, Moses & Joshua).
To get the results He got:-
We must be like Him.
We must talk like Him.
We must act like Him.
This is the essence of discipleship.
Manifesting His glory involves reaping the end-time harvest.” The harvest is great”… saith the Lord – Matt. 9:35ff; Dan. 12:1-3; Joel 3:12-13; Dan. 12:1-3.
This is evidenced by:-
The rise in sin and iniquity.
Multitudes in the valley of decision.
The rise in new age religions.
The cry for the supernatural.
Even the aged can participate in it – Ps. 71:15, 18; Ps. 92:13 14.
4. We are to be “fishers” of men – Mk. 1:17.
God is interested in us “fishing” for men.
Tactics / methods are important – Pr. 11:30.
Wisdom is the key – Dan. 12:1-3.
Graceful Living – Let your light shine – Matt. 5:13ff.
Graceful Speech – Col. 4:5-6; 1 Thess. 4:11-12.
We need to be relevant – Mt. 10; find a man that is worthy.
Get the right place.
Get the right bait.
Get the right “person”.
Bring them in once they are “caught”.
5. Don’t be judgmental - You are not the Holy Spirit. Jn. 16:7.
Catch the fish before you clean it. Nobody catches clean fish.
The way you see people is important – 2 Cor. 5:16; Eph. 4:17-18.
- The sinner is already forgiven of his sins.
- 1 Jn. 1:9 is for saints not for sinners.
- God loves the sinner as much as He loves the saint – 2 Cor. 5:17-21; Rom. 5:10; Jn. 3:16; 1 Tim. 4:10.
Good news involves showing them that they are redeemed, not doomed.
6. Practice Persuasive Evangelism – 2 Cor. 5:10-11; Matt. 11:12; Jude1:23;
This speaks of bringing people to a point of decision.
Three (3) kinds of evangelism:-
1. Presence – Our life alone being our testimony.
2. Proclamation – Our preaching alone being our testimony.
These two are good, but not good enough.
3. Persuasive - (a blend of the two).
This involves being assertive and not leaving things to chance.
7. We need an open door – Eph. 6:19-21.