Summary: It is time that the men of God starting acting like MEN of GOD. We have set back and allowed for the world and church to fall down around us. It is time to act.
"ACT LIKE MEN"
1. In 1 Co 16:13, Paul commands the Corinthians to "be brave" (NKJV),
also translated as...
a. "quit you like men" (ASV, KJV)
b. "act like men" (ESV, NASB)
c. "be courageous" (NRSV), "be men of courage" (NIV)
2. The Greek word is andrizomai, and is defined by Thayer...
a. to make a man of or make brave
b. to show one’s self a man, be brave
3. For our study, I would like to focus on the idea of acting like
a. What is involved in showing oneself to be a man (besides bravery)?
b. Especially as a man in Christ, what does it mean to be a real man?
[The answer is to be found in the New Testament, where men of God are
often commanded to behave a certain way. For example, consider how a
man of God should conduct himself...]
I. AS A BACHELOR
A. BE AN EXAMPLE TO OTHER CHRISTIANS...
1. This is the charge given to Timothy, who was single - 1 Ti 4:12
2. Likewise to Titus - Ti 2:7
3. Even as Paul did himself - 1 Th 2:10
-- A single man should provide an example of what it means to
B. USE YOUR FREEDOM FOR THE LORD...
1. Paul wrote that the unmarried can do more for the Lord - 1 Co
2. They do not have spousal and parental duties
-- A single man should utilize the extra time and energy they have
for the Lord
[Of course, many men do not remain bachelors, they marry and have a
family. How then does one act like a man...]
II. AS A HUSBAND
A. LOVE YOUR WIFE...
1. Husbands are charged to love their wives - Ep 5:25
2. As Christ loved the church - Ep 5:25-27
3. As they love their own bodies - Ep 5:28-29
-- A real man is one who unselfishly loves his wife
B. TREAT HER WITH RESPECT...
1. Render the affection that she is due - 1 Co 7:3-4
2. Seek to understand her, give her honor - 1 Pe 3:8
-- A real man is one who is considerate and seeks to exalt his
[When children come along, acting like a man involves accepting
III. AS A FATHER
A. TEACH YOUR CHILDREN...
1. Fathers have the duty to bring their children up in the ways of
the Lord - Ep 6:4
2. As God expected of Abraham - Gen 18:19
3. As God command Israel - Deu 6:6-7
4. Providing the kind of leadership Joshua did for his family
- Josh 24:15
-- Fathers who act like men will provide spiritual leadership for
B. BE PATIENT WITH THEM...
1. Fathers are not to provoke their children to wrath - Ep 6:4
2. Fathers must not be so overbearing as to discourage their
children - Co 3:21
3. This does not mean there is never discipline - b
-- Fathers who act like men will seek to provide the proper
balance between love and discipline
[Even after a man has become a husband and a father, acting like a man
still involves some duties...]
IV. AS A SON
A. HONOR YOUR PARENTS...
1. A duty for all children - Ep 6:1-2
2. A duty that involves providing for them in old age - cf. Mk
-- A son acting like a man will not try to avoid caring for his
B. SUPPORT YOUR WIDOWS...
1. Children (including sons) are to provide for their mothers and
grandmothers - 1 Ti 5:4,16
2. Failure to do so makes one worse than an unbeliever - 1 Ti 5:8
-- A son will see that his mother or grandmother is cared for
- e.g., Jn 19:25-26
[Finally, some thoughts on what one acting like a man will be...]
V. AS A CHRISTIAN
A. EXERCISE YOURSELF TO GODLINESS...
1. So Paul charged Timothy - 1 Ti 4:7-8
2. Which involves fleeing some things, while pursuing others
- 1 Ti 6:11; 2 Ti 3:16-17
a. Fleeing the love of money and youthful lusts - 1 Ti 6:10;
2 Ti 2:22; 1 Co 6:18
b. Pursuing righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience,
gentleness - 1 Ti 6:11; 2 Ti 2:22
-- A man of God will make every effort to be a true child of God
B. UTILIZE YOUR GIFTS...
1. By God’s grace, we each have gifts, differing abilities - Ro
2. We should therefore use them in service to one another - Ro 12:
6-8; 1 Pe 4:10-11
-- A man of God will make the effort to discover his gift(s) and
use them in service to the family of God
1. More can certainly be said, for the scriptures are full of wisdom and