Summary: Do you know what you believe? Are you just following the crowd? As believers we all should know what doctrine we follow.
Affirm Your Doctrine
1. Knowing that his death was imminent, Paul charged Timothy regarding his duties as an evangelist...
a. To stir up the gift of God given him - 2 Tim 1:6
b. To not be ashamed of the testimony of the Lord, or of those
who suffer for Him - 2 Tim 1:8
c. To hold fast to that which he has heard, and to keep that
committed to him - 2 Tim 1:13-14
2. It is the charge in verses 13-14 that I wish to focus our attention in this study...
a. For it describes the duty that we have today regarding that
taught by the apostles of Christ
b. Whether evangelists or not, the duty remains the same for
[For like Timothy, all Christians have been the beneficiaries of that revealed by the apostles; with the blessings we have received come the responsibilities as well. For example, consider our duty to...]
I. THE WORDS TAUGHT BY THE APOSTLES
A. WE MUST HOLD THEM FAST...
1. The words of the apostles are "sound words" –
1 Tim 1:10; 6:3; Tit 2:1
a. hugiaino - "to have sound health, that is, be well
(in body); figuratively to be uncorrupt (true in
doctrine): - be in health, (be safe and) sound, (be)
whole (-some). - Strong
b. They are "sound" because:
1) They are the words of God - 1 Thes 2:13
2) They are the commandments of the Lord –
1 Cor 14:37
2. We are to hold them fast
a. By continuing in them - 2 Tim 3:14; cf. Act 2:42
1) This was Paul’s charge to Timothy as an evangelist
2) This is what characterized the early church from
3) This implies that we are "doers" of the word, and
Not "hearers only" - James 1:21-25
b. By contending for them - Jude 3
1) "The faith" (i.e., that which we are to believe)
has been delivered "once for all"
2) We need not look for latter day revelation
a) For God has given us "all things that pertain
to life and godliness" - 2 Pet 1:3
b) The Scriptures are sufficient to make the man
of God "complete, thoroughly complete for every
good work" - 2 Tim 3:16-17
3) Our duty is to "contend earnestly" for the faith
-- Are you "holding fast" the teaching of the apostles by
Both continuing in them and contending for them?
B. WE MUST DO SO IN FAITH AND LOVE...
1. What others have said this means:
a. "Hold these truths with sincere faith in the Lord
Jesus, and with that love which is the best evidence
of attachment to him."- Barnes
b. "in the exercise of faith, and from a principle of
2. Thus we must believe in that which we are holding fast
a. In what we are holding fast (i.e., the doctrine)
b. In whom we are holding fast (i.e., the Person)
3. Thus we must possess the spirit of love while holding
a. Love for God and His Word
b. Love for man (including those with whom we differ)
Eph 4:15; 2 Tim 2:24-26
-- In holding fast to the apostolic doctrine, are you doing
So with sincere faith in Jesus and love for both God and
Such is our duty to those things taught by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ. So important is this duty that Paul reiterates the idea in slightly different words...
II. THE GOOD THING COMMITTED TO US
A. WE MUST SAFELY GUARD IT...