Summary: An Expositional Series on the Book of James
Affliction Confession and Conversion
As Pastor James looks around his congregation he sees:
• the rich suffering from too much consumption
• the poor suffering from too much envy
• They are both:
o Physically sick
o Mentally exhausted
o Spiritually under nourished
Over a period of time he has addressed their sins - he wants to see their lives healed.
As a faithful and knowledgeable pastor in the ways of God, He has a prescription for the congregation’s illness.
• Church prayer for the sick
• Public Confession of sin
As he looks out over his congregation, he addresses them;
Are any among you afflicted? Pray!
Are any merry? Sing psalms! 13
Are there any sick (weak) among you? Call the elders of the church; and pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: 14
• Very few conservative churches outside of the Catholic church do this. Why not?
• I think we need a period of prayer in every service where all three of the above items happen at the same time.
o We pray
o We praise God with a merry heart
o And the elders of the church, lay there hands upon the sick, mentally exhausted, Spiritually under nourished, anointing them with oil, and praying for them.
o I think that it should be a good 10 to 15 minutes of our service every week
Pastor James then says:
And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, (êάìíù, one who is weak and has fainted) and the Lord shall raise him up; (óῴæù, literally “save” him) and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. 15
Frequently, when Jesus Healed, there was accompanying forgiveness of sins.
Mat 9:2-7 And, behold, they brought to him a man sick of the palsy, lying on a bed: and Jesus seeing their faith said unto the sick of the palsy; Son, be of good cheer; your sins are forgiven you. And, behold, certain of the scribes said within themselves, This [man] blasphemes. And Jesus knowing their thoughts said, Why do you think evil in your hearts? Is it easier, to say, “Your Sins be forgiven; or to say, Arise, and walk?
But that you may know that the Son of man has power on earth to forgive sins, (then he said to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up your bed, and go unto your house. And he arose, and departed to his house.
Another part of Pastor James’ prescription is Confession;
Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, you may be healed. 16a
Without Confession of sin there is no deliverance from sin.
There are several types of confession in the Bible:
• The first is confession of sin to the Lord - Psa 32:5 I acknowledged my sin unto you, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and you forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah. 1Jo 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
• The second type of confession is confession that brings salvation; confession of the name of Jesus aloud and clearly among the lost of the world. - Mat 10:32, 33 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven