Summary: First of a three part series exploring what the Bible tells us about life after death.
AFTER HERE, WHAT’S HEREAFTER? (PART 1)
This morning we are going to embark on a difficult topic. I’ll be saying some things that may be hard to hear, but they are from the Bible and are truth.
We will discover what is meant by “Sheol, Hades, and Hell.”
We will look at what the Bible reveals to us about some things we can know about the hereafter.
1. We all wonder what’s behind that curtain.
a. Denial, anger, fear, depression - helpless resignation- all these feeling erupt in the souls of those who face death. Each of us must face this ultimate experience individually. No one can endure this moment for us; the dying one must disappear behind the veil alone.
b. Analogy: Someone said that when we face death we are like a hen before a cobra, incapable of doing anything at all in the presence of the very thing that seems to call for the most drastic and decisive action.
i. There is, in fact, nothing we can do. Say what we will, dance how we will, we will soon enough be a heap of ruined feathers and bones, indistinguishable from the rest of the ruins that lie about. It will not appear to matter in the slightest whether we met the enemy with calmness, shrieks, or a trumped-up gaiety, there we will be.
2. Naturally we would like to know in advance what we can expect on the other side.
a. We look for some clues, some hint we might receive from someone who is about to cross over.
b. Anxious to hear something good.
c. Assurance that all is well.
d. Michael Landon on deathbed confided to friends
i. the bright light
ii. eased fears
iii. made him look forward
iv. Died calmly anticipating “quite an experience.”
3. Hollywood movies about reincarnation
a. Altered states of consciousness.
b. Glad reunion
c. Popular at box office
4. Fear of death replaced by blissful feelings about a hereafter where everyone ends happily reunited.
a. No judgment
b. No review of one’s life
c. Death has mystery but not to be dreaded have fear about the great beyond for all.
i. What do you think?
5. How real are these reported glimpses from behind the parted curtain?
a. Many convinced immortality of the soul now confirmed by these paranormal experiences.
i. No other explanation
6. We agree the soul does survive death of the body, but………
a. How much info can be transmitted back to earth by those who tell us what they have seen on the other side?
7. Let’s look at three kinds of evidence sometimes used to assure us that all will be well.
a. Some people claim to have talks with the dead
i. In his book “The Other Side” Bishop James a. Pike described in detail how he made contact with his son, who had committed suicide. Using a spirit medium the bishop had what he believed to be several extensive conversations with the boy.
1. “I failed the test, I can’t face you, can’t face life,” Pike’s son reportedly said. “I’m confused….. I am not in purgatory, but something like Hell, here…yet nobody blames me here.” Jesus, the boy said was an example, but not a Savior.
ii. A surprise was the alleged appearance in spirit of a friend, Paul Tillich, a well-know German-American theologian who had died several months before. Pike was caught off guard when he discerned his deceased friend’s German accent passing through the lips of the medium….or chandler.