Summary: A continuation of an investigation into what the Bible reveals to us about life after death.
AFTER HERE, WHAT’S HEREAFTER? (PART 2)
1. A REVIEW OF LAST WEEK – SUMMARY
a. We talked about our curiosity concerning the hereafter.
b. The different emotions we experience when we face death.
c. The fact that, in the end, there is nothing we can do to prevent death.
d. We looked at some of Hollywood’s apparent concept of death.
i. Everyone ok
ii. Happy reunion for all
1. We know from scripture this in not true.
e. Critical to know the truth.
f. What God has to say about trying to contact the dead.
i. Through mediums
ii. THE ONLY GOOD SPIRIT IS THE HOLY SPIRIT!
i. Despite what Shirley claims, there is no biblical evidence.
3. Near Death Experiences
4. If Paul did die, then was revived.
a. Could be classified as near death experience.
5. If Stephen saw our Lord before he died and if Paul died and was caught up into paradise, it is just possible that other believers might also have such a vision.
a. Reports of seeing Christ, relatives long dead may have some validity.
i. Shouldn’t expect, but it may be possible.
6. Problem – Cannot accept without careful examination.
a. May or may not reflect true conditions of life beyond death.
b. Do they conform to the biblical picture of the hereafter?
c. Also, prior beliefs are essential en evaluating what was experienced.
i. More on this important aspect of our walk with Christ later.
7. MOST IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER:
a. Satan will try to duplicate the same positive experiences for unbelievers that God gave to Stephen and Paul.
b. The Great Deceiver want people to think one’s relationship with Christ has no bearing on the beauty and bliss that awaits everyone.
i. If angels await those who have been made righteous by Christ, it is understandable that demonic spirits await those who enter eternity without God’s forgiveness and acceptance.
8. ABOUT THE LIGHT
a. God is light.
i. Don’t you think satan duplicates light of his own?
b. CANNOT EMPHAZIE ENOUGH THAT SATAN WISHES TO DISQUISE HIMSELF AS AN ANGEL OF LIGHT!
i. 2Corinthains11:14 –“And no wonder, for satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.”
9. IT’S NOT THE TRANSITION, BUT THE DESTINATION THAT REALLY COUNTS.
10. WE DO MUCH BETTER TO TRUST SOMEONE WHO WAS ACTUALLY DEAD, NOT SOMEONE WHO WAS JUST NEAR DEATH.
11. CHRIST is the only one who is qualified to tell us what we can expect on the other side.
12. We learned “Sheol and Hades” are one in the same
i. Neither is “Hell”
13. At this point in our study, in “Hades/Sheol” there are two regions.
14. WHAT IS HINTED AT IN THE OT IS MADE ABUNDANTLY CLEARER IN THE NT
15. The OT was written in Hebrew. The Hebrew word sheol is used for the realm of the dead in the OT.
16. The NT written in Greek. Sheol translated to “Hades.”.
a. In fact, when the whole OT was translated into Greek before the time of Christ, sheol was always translated “hades.” Similarly, when the NT quotes OT texts, sheol is always translated “hades”; they are one and the same.
17. NT “hades” is never used of the grave, but always refers to the world of departed spirits.