Summary: Chores are what are done around the house, the work is in the fields. See the difference in this message.
AFTER THE CHORES ARE DONE
Text: Acts 1:1-8
I know it seems as if we have been here before.
But this is a passage worth the revisit.
The Great Commission is given, and Jesus ascends.
We have heard this time and time again.
But as we get into the Word today hopefully we will receive yet another blessing from this passage.
As we look to the Word we will see that there is more to do:
AFTER THE CHORES ARE DONE
I. What are the Chores.
illustration: A young boy went to visit his Uncle who owned a farm. Bright and early the next day the boy was awakened by his Uncle and informed it was time to do the chores. The Uncle and the boy slopped the hogs, fed the chickens, milked the cow, and split the fire wood. After this they went inside to a hearty breakfast. When breakfast was done the Uncle said it was time to go to work. The young boy complained wasn’t all that we did work? The Uncle said what we did was chores, the things that need to be done around the house to keep it in order. The work is out in the field away from the house.
A. Chores around the house.
1. The sons of Levi, Gershon, Kohath and Merari.
a. Given the responsibilities of the Temple.
b. Still went to Battle at Jericho.
2. Samuel served Eli the priest in the Temple.
a. Became prophet and used of God.
3. The Apostles and those who were appointed.
B. Servant heart in the House of God.
1. There are many chores to do.
2. They have to get done for the house to be in order.
C. These are the chores.
II. The work is in the field.
A. Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, Uttermost.
B. The Great Commission tells us to GO. (Matt. 28:19-20)
Pastor John Li in China shows three pitfalls of the Great Commission.
1. Churches tend to ask non-believers to come to them instead of going to them.
2. Churches tend to teach sharing your faith with one person (ripple effect) instead of thinking in terms of groups. (exploding effect)
3. Churches tend to develop church members instead of discipline Christians who reproduce.
C. Catch phrases for church today
1. Seeker friendly. We are told to do the seeking. (Luke 14)
2. Open minded. Only if it is the mind of Christ that’s open.
3. Non- offensive. The Word of God will be offensive to some.
D. We have become so consumed with the chores….
1. No longer Christ centered.
2. Cultural Christianity has resulted.
III. It is time to be about our Father’s Business.
A. Matthew 25: 35-46
B. Matthew 28: 19-20
C. It is the Great Commission not suggestion.
1. It is for all who are born again.
2. Nobody has a deferment.
The chores must be done. So that the House of God may be in order.
But that is not your only duty.
Being a Christian is 24/7. It’s not just a Sunday thing.
The time we have spent today is not the service. This is worship time.
The service begins when the benediction is said.
That’s when we take what God has revealed and apply it.
We got the chores down pat, now let’s go to work.