Summary: Look at the physical position of the three crosses and the men on them; our physical position in reference to Christ has nothing to do with the spiritual position.
PURPOSE: To show that our physical position in reference to Christ has nothing to do with the spiritual position.
INTRO: Look at the physical position of the three crosses and the men on them
I. AGONY - v.39
A. Hurling insults at Christ
“Aren’t You the Christ?
“Save Yourself …. And us!”
1. Words - "fool"
2. Actions – living
B. Failing to take blame
1. Not accounting for his actions
2. Expecting someone else to get him out of it with no commitment from him
II. ECSTASY - vv. 40-42
A. Recognition of Christ
1. Object of man’s judgment
2. Admits own guilt
“We are punished justly”
“We are getting what our deeds deserve”
3. Admits Christ’s innocence
-- “But this man has done nothing wrong.”
B. Request of Christ
1. “Remember me when You come into Your Kingdom”
- He recognized and owned Jesus as the Messiah, and he did so, by a wonderful forth going of faith, in the uttermost humiliation of Christ. -- Edersheim
- I Sam. 7:3 - Repent
A. Man’s position
1. One lost
Knew “about” Christ
Knew He had the ability to save
Expected something for nothing
2. One saved
Admits he is a sinner
Admits there is a penalty
Admits he needs help – 1 John 1:9
Surrenders to Christ
"If you are returning to the LORD with all your hearts, then rid yourselves of the foreign gods [things you have put before Him] and commit yourselves to the LORD and serve him only, and he will deliver you ….."
-- 1 Samuel 7:3
B. God’s position
1. Has no grand-children or step kids
2. Has one-on-one personal relationship
3. Immediately took him to Paradise
Concl: What is your position – Agony or Ecstasy?