Summary: Quit longing for the "good ole day." They are past and over. Look to where you are now and to the future
Ain’t No going back there
1So all the congregation lifted up their voices and cried, and the people wept that night. 2And all the children of Israel complained against Moses and Aaron, and the whole congregation said to them, “If only we had died in the land of Egypt! Or if only we had died in this wilderness! 3Why has the LORD brought us to this land to fall by the sword, that our wives and children should become victims? Would it not be better for us to return to Egypt?” 4So they said to one another, “Let us select a leader and return to Egypt.”
The Exodus is a classic story of how people respond to change.
A. The children of Israel were slaves in Egypt.
1. They had been beaten with whips like animals.
2. They had been abused, starved and worked beyond
3. They were living in shacks, dressed in rags.
4. The Egyptians had taken their male babies and
drowned them in the Nile river.
5. The children of Israel prayed one prayer for
“Lord God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, send
us a deliverer. Set us free from Pharaoh
I. It Looks Impossible
A. "There’s no way God an get me out of this mess.
1. I know God created heavens in seven days.
2. He spared the family of Noah in the flood.
3. He held the sun still for Joshua.
4. I know he turned the sun back for Hezikiah
5. I know he raised that dead child when Elisha
6. I know he delivered Jehoshaphat & Israel from
Moabites,Ammonites and Menuites
7. I know he delivered Daniel from the Lions
8. And Peter while in Prison
9. But that was then and this is now…….
10. But he can’t help me, bless God.
Poor, pitiful me."
B. Nothing is impossible with our God.
1. "But you don’t know about my situation,
2. God said, “all things are possible to those
2. But Pastor, you just don’t understand… NO!
It’s you that doesn’t understand—God
said, “ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU WILL
C. DEFEATED PHAROAH’S MIGHTY ARMY
1. Pharaoh’s army 3’ OR 30” water
2. 3,000,000 people to feed and clothe for 40
years----For water alone that was 480 trucks a
day—169,000 trucks a year—24,000 miles of
trucks a year
That is 180 trucks a day for 3 pounds of food—
9,360 trucks a year for food
3. Cloud by day-fire by night
D. You have to get out of Egypt to get to the
1. It took God two days to get the Jews out of
Egypt, but it took 4O years to get Egypt out
2. The children of Israel could have been
content to live in the past but for the
barrier of the Red Sea.
E. Out text says they got together and decided to go
back to Egypt.
1.Do you know why they didn’t? Not because they
were spiritual, not because they were thankful
for what God did for them but because God closed
the Red Sea again.
(a) It looked impossible when the three
Hebrew chil¬dren were thrown into the
(b) When Daniel was thrown into the lion’s
den, it looked impossible. Those lions
had been starved so they would
attack Daniel with a fierceness that
would thrill the crowd
(c) It seemed impossible when the angel,
Gabriel went "to a teenager by the name
of Mary and said, "You’re going to be the
mother of the savior of the world." She
said, "How shall this be, seeing I know
not a man ?" The angel said, “The Spirit
of the Lord will move upon you.
(d) When the angel spoke to Zacarius and
told him he was to have a son and to
name him John.
II. Quit longing for the good ole days
The second challenge is to quit longing for the "good old days" and forget the past.
If the past was great, forget it. If it was bad, forget it. You can’t go home again. The past is gone forever.
You only have today. So live your life holding the hand of God, following the cloud by day and the fire by night toward the destiny God has for you.
A. Look at Israel. Three million slaves walked out of
Egypt and crossed the Red Sea.
1.72 short hours later, they came to Marah--the
place of bitter waters.
2.And they ran straight to Pastor Moses and
said, "Why did you bring us out here? We should
have stayed in Egypt." How quickly we forget the
great blessings of God.
3. Moses leads them out of bondage, with God’s
miraculous help, and three days later it’s his