Summary: Easter Sermon on the Power of The Resurrection
Ain’t No Power Like Resurrection Power
A. A day of good news
1. There seems to be plenty of bad news these days.
2. This is a day of Good News.
3. It is resurrection day.
4. Without the Resurrection of Jesus, there could be no Good News.
B. The events leading up to the cross and after…
1. The intimate gathering…the institution of the Lord’s Supper.
2. The betrayal by Judas…
3. The arrest in the garden…
4. The trial…the mockery…the beatings…the cross…His death.
5. The horror…the unimaginable sorrow.
6. The darkness of soul.
7. An event so awful God turned out the sun to keep the world from looking upon His beaten and battered Son.
C. Oh how bright everything had looked…
1. The triumphal entry just a week ago…
2. Throngs in the streets crying Hosanna in the Highest…
3. Seems like years ago now…
4. Now all is darkness…One day…two days…
Luke 24:1 - 12 (NKJV) 1Now on the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they, £and certain other women with them, came to the tomb bringing the spices which they had prepared. 2But they found the stone rolled away from the tomb. 3Then they went in and did not find the body of the Lord Jesus. 4And it happened, as they were £greatly perplexed about this, that behold, two men stood by them in shining garments. 5Then, as they were afraid and bowed their faces to the earth, they said to them, “Why do you seek the living among the dead? 6He is not here, but is risen! Remember how He spoke to you when He was still in Galilee, 7saying, ‘The Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.’” 8And they remembered His words. 9Then they returned from the tomb and told all these things to the eleven and to all the rest. 10It was Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the other women with them, who told these things to the apostles. 11And their words seemed to them like idle tales, and they did not believe them. 12But Peter arose and ran to the tomb; and stooping down, he saw the linen cloths £lying by themselves; and he departed, marveling to himself at what had happened.
D. Then came the morning, night turned into day…the stone was rolled away…hope rose with the dawn. Then came the morning…shadows vanished before the Son…death had lost and night had won…for morning had come.
E. He was Alive. He was Alive. Jesus Lives
1. The greatest Power in the Universe had been displayed.
2. The Power of the resurrection is threefold.
A. The Power of the Resurrection is ALMIGHTY POWER!
1. The stone had been rolled away…(Rolled away for our benefit) he still rolls the stone away!!! Whatever separates you from Him He will roll away!
2. The body of Christ was gone…funny how they never found it!
3. This was all orchestrated by the Almighty Power of God.
4. This is the age of power…
a. Automobiles going 200 MPH…Faster computers…microwave technology…nanotechnology…Aerospace breakthrus…trains that can go over 300 MPH…Nuclear Power both domestic and destructive…scientific and medical breakthroughs.
b. What power we can see in action today.
c. But there is no power in the universe that compares with Resurrection power!
d. The power to restore life…
e. The power to call Lazarus out of the grave.
f. What can science do in a cemetery?
5. In The Resurrection Power we see the awesome power of the Trinity displayed
a. The Power of the Son
John 10:17 - 18 (NKJV) 17“Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. 18No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father.”
b. The Power of the Father
Ephesians 1:19 - 20 (NKJV) 19and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His mighty power 20which He worked in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places,
c. The Power of the Holy Spirit
Romans 1:4 (NKJV) 4and declared to be the Son of God with power according to the Spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead.
B. The Power of the Resurrection is AMAZING POWER.
1. Here is the power needed to save a man’s soul!
2. Without resurrection Power, we would have no hope!
1 Corinthians 15:17 - 19 (NKJV) 17And if Christ is not risen, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins! 18Then also those who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. 19If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men the most pitiable.