Summary: What made Peter different from other men, that people fell dead before him, that his shadow healed the sick, that 1,000s were saved when he preached? It was his intimate exposure to Jesus and his aligning himself with the purposes of God.
ALIGNING YOURSELVES WITH THE PURPOSES OF GOD
A. HUMOR: THE WISDOM OF YOUTH
Some parents have questioned whether their kid’s brains were functioning, but there's actually a lot of evidence to prove something is going in out there:
1. Patrick, age 10, said, “Never trust a dog to watch your food.”
2. Michael, 14, said, “When your dad is mad and asks you, "Do I look stupid?" don’t answer him.” Michael also said, “Never tell your mom her diet’s not working.”
3. Randy, 9 years of age said, “Stay away from prunes.” One wonders how he discovered that bit of wisdom.
4. Kyoyo, age 9, said, “Never hold a dust buster and a cat at the same time.”
5. Naomi, 15 said, “If you want a kitten, start out by asking for a horse.”
6. Lauren, age 9 said, “Felt markers are not good to use as lipstick.”
7. Joel, 10 years old, said, “Don’t pick on your sister when she’s holding a baseball bat.” And
8. Eileen, age 8 said, “Never try to baptize a cat.”
One day as Jesus was standing by the Lake of Gennesaret, the people were crowding around him and listening to the word of God. 2 He saw at the water’s edge two boats, left there by the fishermen, who were washing their nets. 3 He got into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, and asked him to put out a little from shore. Then he sat down and taught the people from the boat. 4 When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch.” 5 Simon answered, “Master, we’ve worked hard all night and haven’t caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets.” 6 When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break. 7 So they signaled their partners in the other boat to come and help them, and they came and filled both boats so full that they began to sink. 8 When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus’ knees and said, “Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!” 9 For he and all his companions were astonished at the catch of fish they had taken, 10 and so were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, Simon’s partners. Then Jesus said to Simon, “Don’t be afraid; from now on you will fish for people.” 11 So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him.
1. There are divine moments -- moments when humans come face to face with God; when God reveals Himself to you; when you become a participant in a miracle; when heaven is opened and your life changes forever.
2. That's what happened to Peter and that's what God wants to do and every one of our lives.
3. Video -- www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxR2NYTyeyY
4. I believe the impact upon Peter was much stronger than this video portrayed.
5. Peter became the greatest of the 12 apostles. People fell dead, for sin, before him. His shadow would later heal the sick!
6. What made Peter different from other men? What was in this man's heart?
I. HE HONORED THE WORD OF GOD
A. PETER’S FEAR OF THE LORD
1. This wasn't Peter's first encounter with the Lord Jesus.
a. He was probably at the Wedding of Cana (John 2) where the water was turned into wine.
b. He saw the Nobleman's son healed (John 4).
c. Luke 4:23; Christ mentions miracles performed at Capernaum, where Peter lived.
2. So Peter knew Jesus was no Ordinary Man. He knew Jesus had God with Him. Jesus’ words and actions were accompanied by demonstrations of divine power!
B. PETER FEARED GOD
1. Psalm 111:10; "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom."
2. Ps. 25:14; “The secret of the Lord is with them
3. Prov. 16:6; "... by the fear of the Lord one departs from evil."
4. Prov. 10:27; "The fear of the Lord prolongs days... leads to life."
C. PETER HONORED THE WORD OF GOD
1. God said, "Them that honor Me I will honor" 1 Sam. 2:30. (revelation)
2. We should fear God and respect His Word. Attitude is important. Attitude is everything. Think of kids attitudes toward their parents.
3. ILLUSTRATION. A parent told their child to sit down and be quiet. The child kept standing. Finally the parent forced the child to sit down. After a moment the child commented, "I may be sitting down on the outside, but I'm standing up on the inside!" God really DOES care about our attitude.
4. When Josiah, king of Judah, heard God's Word for the first time (2 Kings 22:18-20), God saw his response and said, "Because your heart was responsive and you humbled yourself..."