Summary: Many desire the anointing of God and long to operate in His authority but neglect the alignment with His will and the leadership God has placed them under.
Alignment, Anointing and Authority:
• Who wants the Anointing of God in your life?
• Who wants to operate in the spiritual Authority of God?
• Who wants to have your Alignment adjusted?
What did you picture when I said the word alignment?
• A vehicle that drifts off course?
• A video projector that needs attention?
• A painful visit to the Chiropractor?
The history of chiropractic began in 1895 when Daniel David Palmer of Iowa performed the first known chiropractic adjustment on his deaf janitor, Harvey Lillard.
• While Lillard was working in Palmers office, Lillard bent over to empty the trash can.
• Palmer noticed that Lillard had a vertebra out of position.
• He asked what happened, and Lillard replied, "I heard a 'pop' in my back, and that's when I lost my hearing."
• Palmer, had Lillard lie face down and proceeded to pop the bone into place.
• Lillard was completely healed!
• Proper alignment can fix more than you might think!
David writes about the value of Alignment in relation to Anointing¬¬, Authority and blessing.
Psalm 133:1-3 (NIV)
How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity! It is like precious oil poured on the head, running down on the beard, running down on Aaron's beard, down upon the collar of his robes. It is as if the dew of Hermon were falling on Mount Zion. For there the LORD bestows his blessing, even life forevermore.
In scripture the anointing was something to be treasured… And David ought to know!
Aaron (the first) represents not only the priests but also the priesthood of believers.
• When he was anointed, the anointing flowed first on his head (leadership)
• But then onto his body (church).
• God desires for the leadership to receive the anointing and for it to be released throughout the body (church).
Families got excited when the man of God came to their house looking to anoint a member!
(we should as well)
Alignment within the church and its leadership creates a channel through which the Spirit’s anointing can flow.
(I treasure this call)
I have always dreamed of a video wall…
• This can be accomplished on a smaller scale with multiple TVs (Children’s area)
• On a large scale with a single LED screen if you are Jerry Jones and the Cowboys… or willing to take out a mortgage on a screen.
• Or you can use multiple projectors. But for the vision to be clear, they must be in perfect alignment!
David writes this Psalm because David himself was anointed (1 Samuel 16:13). (David’s anointing)
He understood that his anointing was subject to the authority of God.
David also understood the destructive nature of misalignment and division.
“How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity”!
Proper Alignment is a byproduct of unity (Amos 3:3).
Amos 3:3 (NLT2)
Can two people walk together without agreeing on the direction?
Unity is created by the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 4:3) but it takes effort to maintain it.
(Our enemy wants disunity; Discord)
Ephesians 4:3-4 (NIV)
Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit-- just as you were called to one hope when you were called--
Alignment only occurs when we are one in spirit, purpose, and vision in alignment with God’s agenda. (Phil. 1:27 NLT).
Where there is no alignment, the anointing cannot flow freely and the supernatural is hindered.
David understood this.
• Even though he was anointed future king, he understood the importance of alignment and refused to operate in illegitimate misaligned authority against King Saul.
• 1 Samuel 24:6 (NIV)
He said to his men, "The LORD forbid that I should do such a thing to my master, the LORD's anointed, or lift my hand against him; for he is the anointed of the LORD."
• David understood that his anointing as King would have been diminished if he did not operate under the authority God established even though Saul’s leadership was clearly defective. (1 Samuel 24:6-11).
• David let God deal with Saul…
• Because David honored Saul, God blessed David.
• Under David’s anointing the kingdom was united and expanded.
When vision and leadership lack alignment, there is a temptation to operate in illegitimate authority.
• (DI-vision) This causes two visions.
• Lots of activity, but no alignment of purpose (Video Screen)
Alignment attracts Anointing which brings with it, Authority to push back darkness!
Contrast that with David’s son Absalom
2 Samuel 15:4 (NIV)
And Absalom would add, "If only I were appointed judge in the land! Then everyone who has a complaint or case could come to me and I would see that he gets justice."