Summary: Have you ever just wanted God to whisper in your ear? To tell you why it hurts right now? which choice to make? God would tell you to listen to Jesus!
JESUS IS OUR ALL IN ALL
1. Have you ever just wanted God to whisper in your ear?
To tell you why it hurts right now? which choice to make?
How to handle your conflicted desires? How to forgive hurt?
To point the way to starting life over?
To explain why He did or didn’t act in a situation?
To make it clear what He would like you to do for Him?
To give you permission to give up or energy to carry on?
2. The epistle to the Hebrews seeks to present to readers the message from God - it begins the truth that God speaks to us today. God used to speak in plain ways in the days of the prophets. The prophets messages about repentance / warnings / Signs / Messiah. The Hebrews followed Jesus but it seems were questioning that decision. Why? Maybe persecution, family pressures or disappointment in life. They were drawn back to old familiar ways of life - Life before Jesus … without Jesus.
3. A Relevant question: How many today decide to try to live without Jesus? Christians can even fall into this trap - depending on themselves, neglecting the spiritual life, falling into worldly attitudes and actions. What would God say about all of this? He would tell us to listen to Jesus. So that’s what the book of Hebrews is about - listening to Jesus as the source of life. Hebrews begins with the foundational truth of the entire epistle: Jesus is our All in All, He is God’s Son, grace-filled, and worthy of our devotion and commitment.
Hebrews 1:1-4, NLT
Long ago God spoke many times and in many ways to our ancestors through the prophets. 2 And now in these final days, he has spoken to us through his Son. God promised everything to the Son as an inheritance, and through the Son he created the universe. 3 The Son radiates God’s own glory and expresses the very character of God, and he sustains everything by the mighty power of his command. When he had cleansed us from our sins, he sat down in the place of honor at the right hand of the majestic God in heaven. 4 This shows that the Son is far
]greater than the angels, just as the name God gave him is greater than their names.
1. GOD HAS ALWAYS DESIRED TO BE KNOWN
Hebrews 1:1 Long ago God spoke many times and in many ways to our ancestors through the prophets.
A. Long ago
1. Nancy Guthrie: “He began revealing himself to us in the Garden of eden,
as he showed us his love for beauty and order in his creation. He
revealed the power of his wrath in the Flood and his ability to save in the
ark. He revealed his ability to deliver us from captivity and bring us to the
Promised Land in the story of the Israelites’ escape from Egypt. He
revealed his love for holiness and righteousness in the Law. He revealed
his plan for the ages through the prophets. And he gave us some hints
about how he was going to take care of our sin problem in the building of
the Tabernacle and in the festivals, feasts, and sacrifices. …”
2. From the beginning God wanted to be known to His creation.
B. Many ways
1. Literally means “in many portions” (Fudge)
2. Fudge: “God spoke through a rainbow (to Noah), an angel (to Hagar), dreams (to
Joseph), a burning bush (to Moses), Urim and Thummim (to high
priests), a small voice (to Elijah) and a vision in the temple (to Isaiah).”
3. Andrew Murray: “He would have us know how He loves us and longs for
us, how He wants to save and to bless, how He would have us draw
nigh and live in fellowship with Himself.” (Murray)
C. God desires to be known and he has moved in history to reveal himself to the Creation. To you and to me.
2. ONLY JESUS COULD REVEAL THE FATHER TO US. (Hebrews 1:2-4)
Hebrews 1:2 And now in these final days, he has spoken to us through his
Son. God promised everything to the Son as an inheritance, and through the
Son he created the universe.
A. Jesus reveals the Father to us.
1. Guthrie: In Jesus God is saying, ‘I want to show you who I am.’
2. It is in watching Jesus love, care for, listen to, and heal that we begin to know God.
3. Because God is infinite in every way, we never stop growing in our knowledge of Him.
B. Jesus is uniquely qualified to reveal the Father to us:
1. He is the Eternal Son of God - as a part of the Trinity, Jesus has always
2. He the Heir of all things