Summary: MANY ARE CALLED BUT FEW ARE CHOSEN, many people hear the truth to do with salvation but they put it off untill its to late.
Luke 13:22-13:28 ALL WILL NOT ENTER IN
22And he went through the cities and villages, teaching, and journeying toward Jerusalem.
23Then said one unto him, Lord, are there few that be saved? And he said unto them, 24Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. 25When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are: 26Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets. 27But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity. 28There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out.
We find the Lord Jesus in Luke 13:22-35, teaching and healing in the cities and villages of Perea as He journeys toward Jerusalem.
As the disciples observed the Lord in his dealings with the Pharisees, they began to realize that the teachings of the rabbis were in direct contrast to the teachings of Jesus. They began to see the mounting opposition to Christ and His message of salvation.
And as they noticed the rejection and opposition of many, one of Jesus followers asks Him, Lord, are there few that be saved? and Jesus answers, 24Strive to enter in at the strait gate: (or narrow door), for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.
Christ made two points very clear – (1) the doorway to salvation is very narrow and (2) not everyone who seeks to enter is or will be able to enter.
What did He mean by this?
1st. The Doorway to Salvation is Very Narrow.
A. Matthew 7:13-14 "Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leads to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat. Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leads unto life, and few there be that find it."
B. John 10:1 1Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
John 10:7-9 7Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. 8All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. 9I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
C. The way of salvation is very specific. Not all roads lead to Heaven.
1. Proverbs 16:25 25There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.
2. John 14:6 "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."
3. Acts 4:12 12Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
II. Let us notice right here that those who trust in their own goodness cannot go to heaven.
1. Matthew 5:20 20For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
2. Luke 13:3 "I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish."
3. notice, that a person who rests on his own merits for acceptance with God, is of little consequence whether he is a pagan idolater or a proud Pharisee. They are both equally lost.
B. And also people who don’t humble themselves cannot go to heaven.
1. Matthew 18:3 3And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
2. Jeremiah 9:23 -24 23Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: 24But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.
It seem that people like to think that they’ll always manage to get out of what ever dilemma that might come their way, they think, “well I’ve manage so far to stay safe so I’m sure I’ll get by the next time.”