Summary: Its high time, every Christian grasp a hold of what their salvation experience in Christ really entitles them to. Everything, that’s what! He left nothing undone, He dotted every I and crossed every T, with the Blood of His Own Son!
"Am I qualified to praise God like that?"
Acts 16:16-24 NKJ
16. Now it happened, as we went to prayer, that a certain slave girl possessed with a spirit of divination met us, who brought her masters much profit by fortune-telling.
17. This girl followed Paul and us, and cried out, saying, “These men are the servants of the Most High God, who proclaim to us the way of salvation.”
18. And this she did for many days.
But Paul, greatly annoyed, turned and said to the spirit, “I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her.” And he came out that very hour.
19. But when her masters saw that their hope of profit was gone, they seized Paul and Silas and dragged them into the marketplace to the authorities.
20. And they brought them to the magistrates, and said, “These men, being Jews, exceedingly trouble our city;
21. and they teach customs which are not lawful for us, being Romans, to receive or observe.”
22. Then the multitude rose up together against them; and the magistrates tore off their clothes and commanded them to be beaten with rods.
23. And when they had laid many stripes on them, they threw them into prison, commanding the jailer to keep them securely.
24. Having received such a charge, he put them into the inner prison and fastened their feet in the stocks.
This passage tells us that, Paul and those who were there with him, were on their way to prayer.
While on their way, they were met by a demon possessed girl, with a spirit of divination,
which meant she could tell the fortunes of others and this brought great wealth to her masters.
This behavior she displayed continued for several days; and Paul had finally become fed up and could take this spirit no longer,
Even though what she said was true, he didn’t need or want the devils messenger being their Public Relations Liaison,
The last thing he wanted, was for the gospel of Jesus being associated with this familiar spirit,
for everyone was already used to that, so he cast the spirit out of the girl.
This was a big deal, because their little money making machine had been delivered, their free lunch ticket had disappeared into thin air.
it was a suddenly moment, suddenly she was free and suddenly Paul and Silas found themselves, brought before the magistrates,
who tore their clothes, beat them, put them in prison, and then shackled their feet.
Suddenly, the location of the prayer meeting had changed, suddenly they had a new need that needed to be met.
I just love the suddenly stories in the Bible, don't you?
Now, the Bible does not specify what time they were thrown into prison,
It doesn’t say if they discussed what had happened, how bad they were hurt,
or if they had a pity party thinking what did we do to deserve this kind of treatment?
After all, they were human, I’m sure they were hurting pretty good and human nature would surely have wanted its own way.
Human nature always does, it always stands right in the way of our needs being met,
Because it always makes it about, (even though their ever so insignificant and powerless,)