Summary: It is time for America to Bless God again!
• SERMON VIDEO
• SLIDE #1
• America, when you hear the name, what do you think of? Do you think of America as the land of the free and the home of the brave?
• Do you see a nation where one can climb out of the clutches of poverty to the highest office in the land?
• Do you still think of America as a Christian nation?
• When you think about America, have you ever wondered how a bunch of rag-tag soldiers lead by a General who lost more battles than he won?
• How do you think America rose from her humble beginnings to the power house and bastion of freedom the country had achieved?
• America has been a light in this dark world for over 240 years now, but is that light getting a bit dim these days?
• Is our once great nation losing some of its luster? Are we the nation we once were? America, much like all the other nations has had its share of problems throughout history. Are we missing something are we missing something that could potentially lead our nation to ruin?
• In the book of Judges in the Old Testament, you will find a vicious cycle with the nation of Israel exhibited. They would go from prosperity to sin. sin to slavery, and slavery to repentance, repentance to freedom. The cycle continued though out the life of the nation.
• WE hear people and politicians sometimes say, GOD BLESS AMERICA! I think we have it wrong, we need to promote, AMERICA, BLESS GOD!
• I believe the only explanation for the successful founding of our country was that God had His hand in the mix. I believe Patrick Henry had it right when he wrote in his will in 1799:
• SLIDE #2
• Whether this [the American War for Independence] will prove a blessing or a curse will depend upon the use our people make of the blessings which a gracious God hath bestowed on us. If they are wise, they will be great and happy. If they are of a contrary character, they will be miserable. Righteousness alone can exalt them as a nation [Proverbs 14:34]. Reader! – whoever thou art, remember this! – and in thy sphere practice virtue thyself and encourage it in others.
• This leads to our opening thought concerning HOW America can bless God.
• SLIDE #3
I. God’s people need to be GOD’S people.
• Our founders understood the need for God to be prevalent in the lives of Americans. Our institutions are a reflection of the people within the country.
• Our nation need those who call upon the name of Jesus to think and conduct themselves like they belong to Jesus.
• Christian’s are called to be a light to the world!
• SLIDE #4
• Matthew 5:14 (HCSB) You are the light of the world. A city situated on a hill cannot be hidden.
• As Christians, we have to be the light to the world, when the country around us seems to be falling apart, it is up to us to help right the ship, but as long as we reflect the world in the way we live, we will never be able to impact the world in a positive way.
• In our country we have been given freedom, the problem our country is having is that we have forgotten that with freedom comes responsibility.
• The Founding Fathers understood that how a person uses their liberty or freedom will determine how well the nation would function.
• Look at what Galatians 5:13 reminds us…
• SLIDE #5
• Galatians 5:13 (HCSB) For you were called to be free, brothers; only don’t use this freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but serve one another through love.
• In Greek philosophy Plato taught that freedom was defined as “to be at ones own disposal.” THIS WAS IN CONTRAST TO A SLAVE.
• The dictionary defines Freedom as, “a state in which somebody is able to act and live as he or she chooses, without being subject to any undue restraints or restrictions”
• The gift that we have is freedom, BUT freedom is not an absence of responsibility.
• Our founders used their freedom in Christ to serve a higher cause, many ended up losing all they had for the cause of freedom!
• SLIDE #6
• “A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue they will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” – Samuel Adams February 12, 1779