Summary: Creating an atmosphere of faith can change how we view a Sunday service.
An Atmosphere of Faith
Open: Have you ever walked into the middle of a conversation and all of a sudden it gets real quiet, and you get the sense that these two people have been arguing. And you say to yourself or someone else later, “Boy the air was so thick, you could cut it with a knife”
What you were sensing there was an atmosphere.; a negative atmosphere. But I wonder what would happen if we could create a positive atmosphere?
In fact, what could happen if we could create “An Atmosphere of Faith”?
You see, I believe that we can…
And that is what I want to talk to you about this morning…
“An Atmosphere of Faith”
TEXT: Please stand and turn in your Bibles to (Mark 2:1 NIV) A few days later, when Jesus again entered Capernaum, the people heard that he had come home.
(Mark 2:2 NIV) So many gathered that there was no room left, not even outside the door, and he preached the word to them.
(Mark 2:3 NIV) Some men came, bringing to him a paralytic, carried by four of them.
(Mark 2:4 NIV) Since they could not get him to Jesus because of the crowd, they made an opening in the roof above Jesus and, after digging through it, lowered the mat the paralyzed man was lying on.
(Mark 2:5 NIV) When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, "Son, your sins are forgiven."
Church, what I want you to see is that THIS was an Atmosphere of Faith.
Let me tell you why an Atmosphere of Faith is so vital for every Christian…
# 1- God responds to our Faith
• In fact, the Bible says that without faith it is impossible to please God
• The bible says “if we ask for anything “in faith…”
# 2 – Without Faith, Everything We do In Church is Empty
• For example, we can sing songs, but unless we sing IN FAITH, believing that our worship touches the heart of God and that He responds to us, we might as well be singing in the shower or with the radio.
• We can pray, but unless we pray in FAITH, we are just mouthing empty words
• We can give in the offering to satisfy our own desire to support a local church, but what God wants us to do is give IN FAITH, believing Him and taking him at his word that, when we give He will open up the windows of Heaven and pour out so much blessing we won’t have room for it all!
Did you know that WE are responsible for creating an ATMOSPHERE OF FAITH?
That is what these men did when they took their friend to Jesus!
Some people think it is up to God – but, while I know they are sincere, I respectfully submit that, Biblically, they are wrong.
Here are three ways we can create an atmosphere of faith in the church…
# 1- Creating An Atmosphere of Faith Starts BEFORE We Get To Church.
• Like one man said, “do you wake up and say “Good Morning Lord, or do you say “Good Lord, it’s morning”?
• Staying up too late on Saturday night
• Rushing in late on Sunday morning. You can’t find a seat, you can’t find a parking spot…it gets you in a bad mood.
• Get into an argument with your husband or your wife (mother or father) Then you’re forced to either put on a face or stew during service (what’s that cooking?)