Summary: This is a basic intro for an expository series on First Peter.
1 PETER INTRODUCTION
PE 1:1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To God’s elect, strangers in the world, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, 2 who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and sprinkling by his blood: Grace and peace be yours in abundance.
1. Who wrote it?
· Peter (10 things I think of)
· He denied Christ
· He was an apostle
· He seems to be the spokesmen for the group
· He was in Christ’s enter-circle
· His bull-headedness
· He often put his foot in his mouth
· He was called the rock
· Early writers say he was crucified upside down
· Peter was married (1 Cor. 9:5)
· Peter was not First Pope
2. Who was it written to?
· The elect (though salvation is for everyone, not all except it)
· Stranger in the world (People going to heaven)
· Those scattered throughout
3. Why were Christians sanctified?
· to obey Jesus Christ
4. What does Peter wish for us?