Summary: The birth of Jesus is a beautiful picture of God sending His Son to this earth to take on the form of man and become the sacrificial lamb that would satisfy the requirements of the law for all of eternity. But His birth was more than that!
The birth of Jesus is a beautiful picture of God sending His Son to this earth to take on the form of man and become the sacrificial lamb that would satisfy the requirements of the law for all of eternity. But His birth was more than that! Today, we are going to talk about what that “more” is.
6. For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
7. Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.
I. THE CHURCH NEEDS TO HAVE A CLEAR UNDERSTANDING OF GOD
A. God With Us… Matthew 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
B. Illustrate the Godhead with Water, Ice & Steam
1. They’re all H2O but they perform different functions.
2. Mix them all together and challenge someone to separate them back out as they were before. (Can’t be done because all three are one and one is three)
3. Jesus is God… Jesus is the Son of God… Jesus is the Savior of the world.
II. KINGDOM GOVERNMENT
A. Jesus is the “Head” of the Church
1. Upon this Rock (speaking of Himself) I will build my Church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
• Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
B. The government shall be upon His shoulder…
1. The Church is the “body of Christ”… the fullness of him that filleth all in all. (Ephesians 1:15-23)
2. The shoulders are the body not the head…
- God has placed the responsibility of the Kingdom upon His “governing body,” The Church.
C. A Hard Question: Why doesn’t God do something about all the violence, famine, war etc. in the world today? How come God allows bad things to happen to good people?
1. The Church has governing authority and responsibility in the Kingdom.
- God did do something about famine… He gave the world the Church!
- God did do something about violence… He gave the world the Church!
- God did do something about war… He gave the world the Church!
- God’s answer to these questions is… BE THE CHURCH!
2. The Church is falling short of her responsibilities.
- Maybe, as the Church, we should focus more on Matthew 25:31-46 (Read)
III. LET THE CHURCH BE THE CHURCH
A. The Birth of Jesus was about Redemption and Kingdom Government in the Earth
1. As the Church we have the responsibility to PREACH THE WORD!
2. Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
3. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;