Summary: God chose a woman never mentioned by name, only called a Shunammite, to show us some of the qualities that make a woman a great mother.
AN UNLIKELY MOTHER OF FAITH (Mother’s Day)
INTRODUCTION: This woman was never mentioned by name, only called a Shunammite, yet she is the center of attention in this section of 2 Kings. She had, from a practical perspective, every reason to be skeptical. It would appear that she just wanted to be a good wife and never make a name for herself, but when Elisha came on the scene all that changed. She showed women of every generation to come some of the characteristics that make a woman an influential mother of faith.
I. SHE WAS A WOMAN WITH A GREAT HEART (vv. 8-10)
1. Generous and hospitable (v. 8).
2. Sensitive to the presence of God as revealed in Elisha (v. 9).
3. She was quick to make room in her home for God (v. 10).
II. SHE WAS A WOMAN OF UNSELFISH FAITH (vv. 11-13)
1. Elisha’s servant, Gehazi, can be seen in a way as a type of the Holy Spirit. He was sent to bring comfort and encouragement to her (v. 12).
2. He called the woman (v. 12). The Holy Spirit draws us to God.
3. She responded with obedience (v. 12).
4. She was unselfish. The woman could have asked for anything (v. 13).
5. Her greatest desire was to be a good wife, and be close to her loved ones.
III. BECAUSE OF HER UNSELFISH FAITH SHE WAS BLESSED OF GOD (vv. 14-17)
1. The big question was “what can we do to bless her?” (v. 14).
2. The secret desire of her heart was to give her husband a son (v. 14). It would take a miracle. God will not withhold any good thing from the faithful mother.
3. He called her again, this time to give her a marvelous promise (v. 16).
4. Through Gehazi his servant, Elisha, the man of God, made a great and incredible promise to the woman (v. 16). “You’re going to be a mother. You’re going to give you’re husband a son!”
5. She, like Rhoda and the church in Acts 12 (quickview) , had a hard time believing that God would actually bless her with a miracle. Who knows how long she must have cried to God in prayer for a son? Now God was about to give her the desire of her heart.
CONCLUSION: God is faithful and rewards those who are faithful to Him. He rewarded the humble, self-sacrificing, faithfulness of this Shunammite woman beyond her expectations.