Summary: The shield of faith is what you need above all else.
Anoint Your Shield
Isa. 21:5 Prepare the table, watch in the watchtower, eat, drink: arise, ye princes, and anoint the shield.
Eph. 6:16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
There are basically 2 types of shields.
1. A shield with a coat of arms. This was only used for parades and special ceremonies. It was for "showing off" and not used for warfare.
2. This shield was used for warfare. Typically, it was made out of wood that had been soaked in water. This was to make it pliable and to form it with a curvature. Attached to it were 6 strips of water-soaked leather straps. The soldier would take care to anoint the shield on a regular basis. This oily coating, along with the curved shape would ricochet the arrows upon contact. The wet materials would quench the "fiery darts of the enemy".
There were also at least 3 classes of arrows (darts).
1. standard arrows with sharp points----temptations of life
2. arrows coated with tar---deceit, false doctrine
3. hollow point arrows or darts with a liquid or gas that ignites in flight---gossip, slander, immodesty, pornography
Ps. 3:3 But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.
Ps. 5:12 For thou, LORD, wilt bless the righteous; with favour wilt thou compass him as with a shield.
Ps. 84:11a For the LORD God is a sun and shield:
Prov. 30:5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
Song-- Oh I Want to See Him
As I journey through this land, singing as I go,
Pointing souls to Calvary- to the crimson flow
Many arrows pierce my soul, from without, within
But my Lord leads me on, through Him I must win.
If a shield gets dried out, for lack of regular oiling, it can develop cracks and become more susceptible to penetration from the darts of the enemy.
As believers, we are privileged to have access to the power of the Holy Spirit. He will defend us. We must keep full of the Spirit to repel all that the enemy throws our way.
Paul tells us in Ephesians, that all the armour of God is important and to be put on for the battle. He makes specific reference concerning the shield of faith. He says "above all". This is the same as stating that this is the most important.
The illustration of the shield of the soldier is applied to our faith.
Faith as in believing and faith as our belief system.
Our faith will protect us; if and when we keep it maintained.
Hebrews 10:23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering;
1 Tim. 1:19 Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck:
Titus speaks as a Sargent
Titus 1:13 This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith;
Our tendency is to be slack. If we do not keep our faith maintained, we open ourselves up to be an easy target.
The shield is only a help if it is held in place properly during the conflict.
Hebrews 12:12 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees;