Summary: God has called us to be like Jesus. To do that, we need to get anointed, do good, and heal people.
BACK TO SQUARE ONE #3: ANOINTED LIKE JESUS
REVIEW BACK TO SQUARE ONE SERIES:
• In the first week, we talked about rediscovering the mission of Jesus the Saviour. Jesus said He came “to seek and to save that which was lost.” (Luke 19:10).
• In the second week, we talked about the love revolution, how we need to let our lights shine before men, that they may see our good works and glorify God (Matt. 5:16).
• TESTIMONY: Last week we learned the importance of building relationships with people: The BBQ First Principle. Personal Subway story of someone I’m praying for.
• Today, we will wrap up our series and talk about what it means to be anointed like Jesus.
THE MISSION OF JESUS:
“John answered, saying to all, "I indeed baptize you with water; but One mightier than I is coming, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to loose. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire… And the Holy Spirit descended in bodily form like a dove upon Him, and a voice came from heaven which said, "You are My beloved Son; in You I am well pleased.” (Luke 3:16,22, NKJV).
“Then Jesus, being filled with the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, being tempted for forty days by the devil. And in those days He ate nothing, and afterward, when they had ended, He was hungry.” (Luke 4:1-2).
• One of the things that we need to learn to do is to be led by the Spirit.
• The Holy Spirit is like God’s GPS – He will show you where He wants you to go.
After 40 days in the Wilderness: “Then Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit to Galilee, and news of Him went out through all the surrounding region.” (Luke 4:14).
• When we go through the wilderness and seek God, we come out stronger.
“The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me To preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, To set at liberty those who are oppressed; To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.” (Luke 4:18).
• Jesus said, “It is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper (the Holy Spirit) will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.” (John 16:7).
• If we want to be anointed like Jesus, we need to be filled with the Spirit too!
KEY TEXT: “how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him.” (Acts 10:38).
THE BIG IDEA: God has called us to be like Jesus. To do that, we need to get anointed, do good, and heal people.
1. GET ANOINTED:
“And being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, which, He said, you have heard from Me; for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.” (Acts 1:4-5).