Summary: A short devotional to encourage believers in the midst of their weariness
ANYBODY TIRED TODAY? ANYBODY WEARY TODAY?
- Beat down
- Beat up
- Burning out
Have to be careful during these trying times we are living in. Easy to get overwhelmed, overextended, overstressed right now.
SPURGEON: “Jesus invites all those who labor & are heavy laden to come to Him, & He will give them rest. He does not promise this to their merely dreaming about Him. They must come; & they must come to HIM, & not merely to the Church, to baptism, or to the orthodox faith, or to anything short of His divine person.”
HIS GRACIOUS COMMAND – “COME TO ME”
- Understood “you” – Who is the “you”?
o It’s YOU who are burdened – you who are enduring something that has been placed on you from some outside source
- James 4:8 – “Draw near to God & He will draw near to you”
HIS GRACIOUS PROVISION – “I WILL GIVE YOU REST”
- Baseball – 7th inning stretch
- Jesus’ promise is a “7th inning stretch” in the middle of our lives
- “rest” – anapauso – cause to rest, abide; to give intermission from labor; refresh; to make to cease, stop; to give relief; to revive, remain quiet
o I think it’s interesting that the Greek word actually has the word “pause” in the middle of it
HIS GRACIOUS LEADERSHIP – “TAKE MY YOKE UPON YOU & LEARN FROM ME”
- In Jesus’ day, taking the “yoke” of another person meant to come under that person’s leadership. Meant that the person coming under that yoke is going to walk in the same direction as the one who is leading.
- 1 John 5:3 – “Loving God means keeping his commandments, and his commandments are not burdensome.”
o When we place ourselves under Jesus’ yoke of leadership & obey Him, our burdens are lightened.
o This is the only way that our day-to-day stress is released.
o And this is the way we show our love for God.