Summary: IN A POLLUTED WORLD LIKE OURS IT IS EXPEDIENT THAT CHRISTIANS SHOULD STAND OUT AND MAKE THE DIFFERENCE. ANYTHING THAT APPEARS LIKE EVIL SHOULD NOT BE CONDONED BY BELIEVERS IN CHRIST. THEY SHOULD DENOUNCE EVIL OUT RIGHTLY AND KEEP AWAY FROM THEM.
APPEARANCE OF EVIL
1ST THES. 5:22 states thus ‘Abstain from all appearance of evil.’
Apostle Paul by the Holy Spirit exhorts Christians to abstain from all appearance of evil. You may wish to ask, ‘what is appearance of evil? ’. In order to understand this phrase we need to consider the key words i.e. appearance and evil.
Appearance in this concept connotes a look, form, outlook and impression. Evil on the other hand implies wickedness, sin, malice, criminality or immorality. Appearance of evil therefore implies whatever looks like or gives an impression of sin, wickedness, malice, criminality or immorality.
God does not want believers to come near anything that looks like sin. They are to keep far away from them. If God has commanded it then He will judge those who indulge in appearance of evil. For avoidance of doubt, do a soul-searching on the check list below and see if you indulge in them:
- Keeping opposite sex friends not known to your spouse.
- Depriving your spouse access to your handsets.
- Keeping late nights without explaining full details to your spouse.
- Sitting in the midst of people of questionable character.
- Telling your family, spouse, boss the opposite of your journey direction or plans of action.
- Sitting in the midst of smokers and drinkers of alcohol even though you do not drink nor smoke.
- Making late night calls to opposite sex who is not your spouse or blood relations.
- Undue delay in discharging official responsibility.
- When you express amorous affection to the opposite sex who is not your spouse.
- Getting or being in the midst of gossipers and backbiters.
- Viewing of objects with zodiac sign engravement.
- Keeping of any graven image or deity in your home, car, or office.
- Keeping of alcohol or tobacco container as well their promo items e.g. key holders, wrist-band, caps, tee shirts, bracelets e.t.c. in your house.
- Being seen in a secret corner with the opposite sex who is not your spouse or blood relations.
- Taking of extra time to bring out office files, document or receipt.
- Owning a property that you cannot boldly explain its source before God and man.
- Collecting a gift from a party to dispute in which you are an umpire.
- Occasional visit to pornographic sites on your handsets and other internet gadgets.
- Having worldly music as your ringtones.
- Playing worldly gospel music in your home, office or car.
- Exposing private areas of your body to the public.
- Permitting the opposite sex to touch your hair, boobs, face, shoulder, arms, hands, shirt or blouse.
- Desiring or attempting to taste the other side of life sexually.
- Making an opposite sex group your witnessing target
- shooting out your tongue or licking your lips seductively in the presence of the opposite sex
- Sitting posture that exposes your pants, thighs, tummy, and waist line thus attracting sexual attention.
- Praying for an opposite sex alone in an enclosed area
- wearing net /transparent shirt or blouse in the public
- sending text messages or letters to the opposite sex whose meaning may be suggestive of immorality
- listening to romantic music/songs that sounds like Gospel music
- Wearing clothes, rings, T shirt, bangles, with sex instrument inscriptions
- Coding a name of a caller in your handset without your spouse’s knowledge.
- Always reserving seat, food etc. for a particular opposite sex at gathering.
- Going to conferences with your female secretary or personal assistant and not your wife
- Keeping a sensual eye contact with the opposite sex.
A person may not have in his mind the intention of committing sin but his or her action gives that impression. May God help you to repent and run away from all appearances of evil in Jesus name.
Contact us for prayers and counseling at:
HOUSE OF REST MISSION
P.O.BOX 662 WARRI,NIGERIA OR +2348139596387