Summary: God is, without a doubt, our BEST friend. But what kind of friend are you to Him? Here are three qualities God looks for in a friend, all demonstrated by Abraham, who was called the "Friend of God."
ARE YOU A FRIEND OF GOD?
Text: John 15:13 – 15
• “What a Friend We Have In Jesus”
o Loves you unconditionally
o Tells you the truth
o There when you need help
o Encourages you to be a better person
o Always keeps his promises
• Jesus is your Best Friend, and He is also the God that created the universe
• John 1:1, 14 “Beginning Word, with God, was God; Word made Flesh and dwelt among us.”
• When we sing “What a Friend We Have in Jesus,” we are actually singing, “What a Friend We Have in God”
• Did you ever stop to think that God might want you to be HIS friend?
• Abraham called the “friend of God” in 2 Chronicles, Isaiah, James
• What does it take to be the friend of God?
• Jesus lists three things He is looking for in a friend, and all three were characteristics of Abraham
A. God is looking for a friend that is devoted (v. 13)
• God wants friends that are willing to give everything for Him and put Him first in their lives
• Mark 12:30 “love God with all heart, soul, mind, strength”
• Romans 12:1 “living sacrifices”
• Abraham proved he was God’s friend when he was willing to sacrifice the thing that meant the most to him, his son Isaac
• Church attendance, tithing, giving
B. God is looking for a friend that is faithful (v. 14)
• If I go to my friends and ask them to do something for me, I know that they will do it
• God wants friends that are willing to do something for Him when He asks
• 1 John 3:18 “not love in word, tongue, but in deed and in truth”
• Abraham proved he was God’s friend when he left his family and traveled 1000 miles on foot just because God told him to
• Witnessing, ministry, standing up
C. God is looking for a friend that is intimate (v. 15)
• My friends know things about me that you don’t know
• Remember when God was going to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah?
• Genesis 18:17 “Lord said Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do?”
• God didn’t tell everyone
• Abraham talked to God about the situation and pleaded for the safety of the people
• Prayer, Bible study
• When it comes to God, we are either strangers, servants, or friends
• Strangers – Matthew 7:23 “I never knew you; depart from me ye that work iniquity.”
• Servants – Luke 17:7 – 10
• Friends – John 15:13 – 15
• Are you a friend of God?