Summary: THERE ARE SIGNS WHEN A PERSON BEGINS TO BACKSLIDE.
ARE YOU BECOMING A BACKSLIDER?
In this outline we list a few of the many things that can hinder our spiritual growth and put us on the road to sliding back away from the Lord, His Will and Purpose for our lives. The Lord wants up to live in victory, being an over comer and to bring Glory to Him. We must be on guard and be faithful. If a disciple like Peter could lose out, we either have to be much stronger in Lord than He or we must avoid the pitfalls that he fell into. We want to grow not dry out in the Lord.
- 2 Peter 2:20-22 (KJV) For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning. 21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them. 22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.
1. In 2 Peter 2:20-22, we read of the real possibility and serious cost of backsliding.
2. It is interesting that we find this passage coming from the writings of Peter.
a. For if anyone knew about dangers of backsliding, it was Peter!
b. He learned this the night he denied Jesus!
3. The process of backsliding is a gradual one, often overtaking a person by surprise; we need to be on guard.
a. Let us examine what led to Peter’s denial and backsliding.
b. Then let us see how Peter’s told us in his epistles to prevent the same from happening to us!
I. WHAT TAKES PLACE IN THE LIFE OF A BACKSLIDER!
- Mark 14:27-31 (KJV) 27 And Jesus saith unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered. 28 But after that I am risen, I will go before you into Galilee. 29 But Peter said unto him, Although all shall be offended, yet will not I. 30 And Jesus saith unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this day, even in this night, before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice. 31 But he spake the more vehemently, If I should die with thee, I will not deny thee in any wise. Likewise also said they all.
1. Peter boasts and claims he will not fall away or deny Christ!
2. Peter takes the first step in backsliding:
"Pride"! - Proverbs 16:18 (KJV) Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
3. Why is this the "first" step?
- Matthew 18:3-4 (KJV) 3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. 4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
a. If we lose "humility", we take that first step backward
4. Paul’s advice to the Corinthians is very important in this
Regard - 1 Corinthians 10:11 (KJV) Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.