Summary: Are you just a fan of Jesus, as a good teacher? Or are you a committed disciple of Christ.
Are you Just a Fan or a Follower? Matt.4:18-22
Most common answer when I ask people, “How do you know you are a Christian? “Because I believe in Jesus!”
• Hindu’s believe in Jesus + 330 million other gods!
• Muslims believe Jesus was a prophet.
• New Ager’s believe in Jesus too. Almost everybody believes in Jesus.
Bible Says That All You Have To Do To Get Into Heaven Is To Believe In Jesus!
BUT the Bible also says that even the DEMONS Believe in JESUS & you won’t see them in heaven!
BillyGraham: Define “BELIEVE” in Christ?
“BELIEVE” in+Bible means MORE than SIMPLY AGREEING in our minds that something might be true. It means “TRUST”— that we Believe So Strongly in God that we are willing 2 COMMIT our lives 2 Him & live the way we know He wants us to live. Suppose you were walking a path & you came to a bridge which crossed a deep canyon. You might look at it & BELIEVE that it would hold you, & you might even see other people walking across it so you know it would hold your weight. But so far, your “belief” in the bridge is Only In Your Head. You only really believe it when you are willing 2 commit your life 2 it & actually walk across it.
It is the same way with Christ. Yes, we can believe that God exists,but God wants us 2 come 2 know Him personally. & He has BRIDGED THE GAP between us by sending His Son 2 remove the Barrier Of Sin & Become That “Bridge.”
Matt 15:8 "'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.”
I love Linus in the PEANUTS comics:
He seems like a TRUE BELIEVER… so SINCERE sitting in the Pumpkin Patch every year on Halloween. BUT SO Sincerely WRONG!
So what does it mean 2 “believe in Jesus” & what am I supposed 2 believe?
First of all, there is a huge difference between believing “IN” Jesus & “believing” Jesus.
DIFFERENCE BETWEENa PREFERENCE &aCONVICTION:
A PREFERENCE is Something you can change your mind about.
A CONVICTION is something you’re willing 2 die for.
Even+Devil’s Demons “Believe” James2:19; Mk1:24
Luke 9: 57-62 “follow me” several unnamed people. EXCUSES: “Bury my Father”; “Say Goodbye”
1) EXCLUSIVE –WHAT is+GREATEST COMMANDMENT? Mt22:37LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH
ALL YOUR HEART, SOUL, MIND & STRENGTH. .
Just 18 Hrs before crucifiction in JOHN 14:6
“I AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH, THE LIFE, & NO ONE COMES TO THE FATHER EXCEPT THROUGH ME.”
2) EXTRAVAGANT – Mary not only gave the oil, but she gave herself, totally & completely. For the follower of Christ, nothing is too good. Our best is not good enough. But we keep on giving because we know that WE CANNOT OUT GIVE OUR LORD JESUS. HE GAVE HIS ALL FOR US.
3) EXPRESSIVE – Sad but often True! We get EXCITED about things that DON’T MATTER while we
remain QUIET& RESERVED about MOST IMPORTANT.
God is the God of ORDER, BUT NOT PARALYSIS.