Summary: Heaven is a prepared place for a prepared people, that have utilized a particular method of preparation.
ARE YOU PREPARED?
Exploring the Hope of Heaven Sermon #3
I. A Prepared Place (vs. 1-4)
“I am going away to prepare a place for you.” John 14:2 (HCSB)
Why did a new place have to be prepared?
A. Presence of God (vs. 3)
1. God cannot have and will not tolerate the presence of sin
2. Sin cannot exist in proximity to His holiness
B. Pleasure of His People (vs. 4)
1. All the woes named in verse 4 and more are caused by the effects of sin
2. With the removal of sin and its effects, there will be no more cause for suffering or sadness.
3. READ REV. 21:27 – INTRO TO NEXT
II. For a Prepared People
“If I go away and prepare a place for you, I will come back and receive you to Myself, so that where I am you may be also.” John 14:3 (HCSB)
A. “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord!’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of My Father in heaven.” Matthew 7:21 (HCSB)
B. Revelation 21:27 IN TEXT “Only those who are written…”
C. “Then I saw a great white throne and One seated on it. Earth and heaven fled from His presence, and no place was found for them. I also saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life, and the dead were judged according to their works by what was written in the books. Then the sea gave up its dead, and Death and Hades gave up their dead; all were judged according to their works. Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. And anyone not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.” Revelation 20:11-15 (HCSB)
III. A Particular Way of Preparation (vs. 6-8)
A. Thirsting (vs. 6)
1. “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him.” John 6:44 (HCSB)
2. “When He comes, He will convict the world about sin, righteousness, and judgment.” John 16:8 (HCSB)
B. Trusting (vs. 7)
1. What overcomes? FAITH: “This is the victory that has conquered the world: our faith.” 1 John 5:4 (HCSB)
2. “Therefore, since we have been declared righteous by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.” Romans 5:1 (HCSB)
3. “I testified to both Jews and Greeks about repentance toward God and faith in our Lord Jesus.” Acts 20:21 (HCSB)