Summary: One of four solutions of feeding the 5,000. • Removal - Disciples (Mk 6:35-36) • Realistic – Philip (v.7) • Rational – Andrew (v. 8-9) • Regenerate - Jesus (v. 11)
Camera Gadget Bag
Camera & zoom lens additional lenses, a flash, accessories and a laptop, personal items like a jacket, water bottle & snacks
- Just being prepared
- First an earthquake, now a hurricane and a potential tornado as well?
While most people would admit they would not be ready for a large scale emergency, a growing number of people are concerned about potential disasters and are making preparations. This new group of self-sufficient people call themselves “preppers.”
“Preppers” want to be prepared for any possibility, including natural disasters, terrorism, economic meltdowns, or nuclear strikes. They have developed websites, blogs and other resources to help people learn survival skills such as food storage, water filtration, and gardening. Stephen Bedford, whose wife runs the website, Survival Moms, believes preparation is essential. Bedford says, “No one can predict the future, but our economy sure isn’t what it used to be. We can’t afford to live like it’s still 2005.” Gary Hartley, who operates the United States Prepper Networks, says he would be happy if his preparations never had to be used. He added, “Remember this. It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Not prepping is an unwise decision.”
Being prepared for what might be is a good idea, but it’s even better to make sure we are prepared for eternal life we know lies ahead.
• Chapter 5 Jesus revealed himself as the giver of life
• Chapter 6 Jesus reveals himself as the supporter of life
John 6:5 (AV)
5 When Jesus then lifted up his eyes, and saw a great company come unto him, he saith unto Philip, Whence shall we buy bread, that these may eat?
Matthew 14:16 (AV)
16 But Jesus said unto them, They need not depart; give ye them to eat.
- Where shall we find satisfaction?
- Life is full of need
- Life is full of greed
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
• Removal - Disciples
- Send them away (Get rid of the problem) – Mk 6:35-36
- Impossible Give up
Mark 6:35–36 (AV)
35 And when the day was now far spent, his disciples came unto him, and said, This is a desert place, and now the time is far passed:
36 Send them away, that they may go into the country round about, and into the villages, and buy themselves bread: for they have nothing to eat.
• Realistic – Philip v.7
- The nearest town Bethsaida Philip was from there
Lk 9:10 – Jn 1:44
- Rise enough money for food – v. 7 (200 day wages)
- He sees pennies instead of omnipotence
- Money will solve the problem
• Rational – Andrew v. 8-9
- Andrew solution was minimal with so many people
- Lad with 5 loaves 2 small fishes
- Focus on the material
• Regenerate - Jesus v. 11
– He takes, thanks & distributes
- Requires trust
- What was the boy’s name? Who was he?
- He was an unknown
- With five small barley loaves and two small fish."
- A barley loaf (a cake) was about the size of one of Saltine Cracker.
- Barley scarcely is one-third of the value of wheat
- Food of horses – 1 Ki 4:28
- Cheapest bread on the market.
- Considered to be the food of choice for poor people
- Fish refers to two little pieces of pickled fish.
- Not a very big lunch.
- I could probably eat this food by myself and still be hungry!
- This is a little boy’s lunch! This isn’t going to feed people!"
- The boy’s food was offered up without him being asked.
- It was assumed that he would give up his food.
- No one thanked the boy.
- No one recognized the boy to the crowd.
- This is the only miracle in all of John's gospel that is also included in the other three gospels
- It Shows Christ’s creative power
- Two creative miracles – Water into wine
- Five loaves to 5000+ loaves
- At communion we remember the creative power of alien into sons
Realize the deadlines of Sin
Survey the wondrous cross
Be captivated by the Gospel
Worship & Praise – He is our all
Absolute trust – Look to Him
Continual growth – Feed on His Word
Seek first his kingdom