Summary: You have begun to allow little things to slip into your life you know displease the Lord • Simply, you aren't living like/Lord wants His people to live. • Some of you aren't even saved!
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell point Baptist Church
Are you walking like Jesus
24th November 2013
Intro: We become like those we are around.
• I grew up/w/o realizing it/began/walk like/father.
• picked up many characteristics from him
• Some desirable, others no so much so.
• That is from a physical point of view.
However, from a spiritual point of view, there is another in Who's steps we are to walk, and His name is Jesus Christ.
• Person first comes to Jesus for salvation
• there are some instantaneous changes take place
• Yet/very natural/them to retain/characteristics/their old life.
As they grow/mature/Lord/should be changes begin/take place.
These changes are produced:
• We learn more about God, Christ/Bible
• As we yield/leadership/Holy Spirit in our lives.
Hopefully, as these changes take place, we will find that our attitudes, our actions, our attractions, etc, become less like the old, pre-salvation person and more like the Lord Jesus.
• Perfectly natural/baby to act like a baby.
• Cry, suck on bottles, soil/diapers/play with their toes.
As they begin/grow/begin/change
• Start/take/characteristics of those around them.
• Act more like people and less like babies.
• Not/babies aren't people, just little people/weird habits!
• So it is with God's children!
When we are first saved:
• natural for us to stumble as we take those first baby steps
• Learning with wobbly spiritual legs.
• As time passes/begin to mature/take/characteristics/Savior.
That is what John means when he says we are to walk like Jesus.
I want to help you today to see where you stand with the Lord.
• Are you maturing/your relationship with him?
• Do you even have a relationship with Him?
• I would like for us to think about these questions
• "Are you walking like Jesus?"
I. A PROFESSION DECLARED
“Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did”
• The word "claims". Referred those have a profession of faith.
• They say they are saved.
• Let's examine their claim, as well as our own this morning.
When they make the profession they "abide in Him", they are saying a mouthful!
A. A Declaration Of Salvation
• Those referred/passage claim to be "in" Jesus
• only one way into Him
• By receiving Jesus Christ/personal Savior, Acts 16:31.
To be "in" Jesus is the only place:
• of salvation/safety/security/peace/happiness
• of being right with God/being delivered from Hell
• of being certain of Heaven.
The benefits/being "in" Jesus are enormous, consequences of not being "in" Him are catastrophic! Where are you?
Just in case there are those present who have never been saved, let me take a moment to tell you how you can be.