Summary: You have begun to allow little things to slip into your life you know displease the Lord • Simply, you aren't living like/Lord wants His people to live. • Some of you aren't even saved!
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell point Baptist Church
Are you walking like Jesus
24th November 2013
Intro: We become like those we are around.
• I grew up/w/o realizing it/began/walk like/father.
• picked up many characteristics from him
• Some desirable, others no so much so.
• That is from a physical point of view.
However, from a spiritual point of view, there is another in Who's steps we are to walk, and His name is Jesus Christ.
• Person first comes to Jesus for salvation
• there are some instantaneous changes take place
• Yet/very natural/them to retain/characteristics/their old life.
As they grow/mature/Lord/should be changes begin/take place.
These changes are produced:
• We learn more about God, Christ/Bible
• As we yield/leadership/Holy Spirit in our lives.
Hopefully, as these changes take place, we will find that our attitudes, our actions, our attractions, etc, become less like the old, pre-salvation person and more like the Lord Jesus.
• Perfectly natural/baby to act like a baby.
• Cry, suck on bottles, soil/diapers/play with their toes.
As they begin/grow/begin/change
• Start/take/characteristics of those around them.
• Act more like people and less like babies.
• Not/babies aren't people, just little people/weird habits!
• So it is with God's children!
When we are first saved:
• natural for us to stumble as we take those first baby steps
• Learning with wobbly spiritual legs.
• As time passes/begin to mature/take/characteristics/Savior.
That is what John means when he says we are to walk like Jesus.
I want to help you today to see where you stand with the Lord.
• Are you maturing/your relationship with him?
• Do you even have a relationship with Him?
• I would like for us to think about these questions
• "Are you walking like Jesus?"
I. A PROFESSION DECLARED
“Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did”
• The word "claims". Referred those have a profession of faith.
• They say they are saved.
• Let's examine their claim, as well as our own this morning.
When they make the profession they "abide in Him", they are saying a mouthful!
A. A Declaration Of Salvation
• Those referred/passage claim to be "in" Jesus
• only one way into Him
• By receiving Jesus Christ/personal Savior, Acts 16:31.
To be "in" Jesus is the only place:
• of salvation/safety/security/peace/happiness
• of being right with God/being delivered from Hell
• of being certain of Heaven.
The benefits/being "in" Jesus are enormous, consequences of not being "in" Him are catastrophic! Where are you?
Just in case there are those present who have never been saved, let me take a moment to tell you how you can be.
• Getting saved/most simple thing a person can do.
• only a few things you need to know and accept
• Allow me to share them with you.
1. You Must Know That You Are A Sinner - Rom. 3:23
2. You Must Understand There Is A Penalty On your Sin - Rom. 6:23; Rom, 5:12; Psa. 9:17.
3. You Must Know That God Loves You And That He Has Made A Way For You To Be Saved - John 3:16; Rom. 5:8.
4. You Must Believe The Gospel - Rom. 10:10-11
5. You Must Be Willing To Turn From Your Sins - Luke 13:3.
• Doesn’t mean/must be perfect before you can be saved.
• Means you are aware of your sins
• you are sorry for your sins
• you are willing to let the Lord take your sins away
• Along with your desire for them.
• Means simply, you are willing to be changed, 2 Cor. 5:17.
6. You Must Be Willing To Call On Jesus Christ Alone For Salvation Rom. 10:13.
Salvation can never become/reality/life until you make decision to bow before/Lord and ask Jesus to come into your heart and life.
7. You Must Know You Should Not Wait - 2 Cor. 6:2.
8. Are you saved? If not, why not come to Him right now while He is calling you to come, Rev. 3:20?
Please do not wait and allow the devil time to talk you out of it.
Come now and be saved.
B. A Declaration Of Surrender
Whoever claims to live in Him must live as Jesus did.
• Word "abide/live" means "to tarry, or to dwell."
• Brings to mind another passage where john used this word.
In John 15:1-11…
• records the words of Jesus/He is the True Vine
• We, who are saved, are the branches.
• Just like a branch/literal vine, our duty to our Savior is to abide in Him.
Means we are to:
• Draw our very life from Him.
• Surrender to His will and to His power in us.