Summary: Mary Magdalene
Are You Watching and Seeking Jesus?
55 And many women were there beholding afar off, which followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering unto him:
56 Among which was Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James and Joses, and the mother of Zebedee’s children.
Thesis Show from examples of Mary Magdalene that we need to continuously watch and seek Jesus.
1. We can glean many lessons from the character of Mary Magdalen.
2. We can see her love portrayed in the fact that every time we see her in scripture, she is humbly looking to Jesus.
3. Are we looking to Jesus?
a. Are we trusting in his presence?
b. The old poem (Footprints in the Sand)
I. Mary was possessed by Sin, when she first encountered Jesus. Luke 8:2
2 And certain women, which had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary called Magdalene, out of whom went seven devils,
A. She had Seven Devils cast out
1. How many demons do you have?
2. If you encounter Jesus, he can take them away from you.
B. Like Mary, when we first encounter Jesus, we have many sins.
1. Jesus is the remedy.
II. Mary is standing afar off watching Jesus takes her sin. Matthew 27:55-56
A. Many Christians today, who have had their sins forgiven, are not sympathizing with Christ and carrying his Cross.
1. Take up your Cross and follow me.
2. Christ served the World
3. Are we just standing afar off watching him serve, or are we taking up our cross and serving with him?
B. I don’t totally know why Mary was standing afar off.
1. Perhaps it was because she couldn’t fight through the Mob that followed Christ.
2. Perhaps it was because she loved him so much that she couldn’t bear to look into his eyes.
C. Have you ever looked into the Eyes of Christ?
1. Did you feel guilty as Peter?
2. Did you lie to him and not admit your sin?
3. Or did you betray him with a kiss, or a slap in the face, did you say to his judge, “Crucify Him.”
III. Mary stood by the Cross John 19:25
25 Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene.
A. The image that she had built, was being Crushed.
1. Her king was dieing, but her Faith kept her at the feet of Jesus.
2. When our life is not going as we wish, do we leave Jesus, or do we stand for him No matter what.
IV. Mary saw where he was laid. Mark 16:1-6
16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.
3 And they said among themselves, Who shall roll us away the stone from the door of the sepulchre?
4 And when they looked, they saw that the stone was rolled away: for it was very great.
5 And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted.
6 And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him.