Summary: Based on Titus 2:14 - Sermon helps listeners to consider things for which Christ-follower should be zealous.
“ARE YOU ZEALOUS?” Titus 2:14
FBCF – 1/24/21
INTRO – Bottom Line Personal magazine each month. Short articles on a variety of subjects. For instance, this month had articles on investments, changing your mental attitude, how to care for your elderly pets, &, of course, the dangers of earwax! Heading at top of front page: “Inside information from the world’s best experts.”
I would submit to you today that the Apostle Paul is the world’s best expert on the Gospel & the Church. His teachings in the NT form the bedrock for our belief system as Christ-followers & for the formation, operation, & continuation of a NT Church like we are. Much of what we hold to as our bottom-line doctrines come from Paul. Just think about some of the bottom lines in his writings:
- Romans – foundational teaching on our salvation through Christ alone
- 1 & 2 Cor – spiritual gifts & ministry of the Holy Spirit
- Galatians – faith in Christ & freedom in Christ
- Ephesians – spiritual warfare & armor of God
- Philippians – the joy of the Lord
- Colossians – the Lordship of Jesus Christ & His sufficiency to meet our every need
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians – Lots about the 2nd Coming of Christ
- 1 & 2 Timothy – Preach & live the Gospel
- Philemon – reconciliation & forgiveness among Christians brothers & sisters
And here again in Titus today – the bottom line of the GRACE of God in our lives.
EXPLANATION – Titus 2:14
Continue “Time for a Checkup” series.
- “Are You Saved?”
- “Are You Living Right?”
- “Are You Waiting Expectantly?”
- “Are You Zealous?”
Want to get to that word that is at the end of v. 14. So, let’s dissect this verse on our way to the word “zealous.”
Remember that the basis of all of these things that we’ve looked at over last 4 weeks is the GRACE of God – the undeserved favor, goodness, & kindness of God. It is God giving to us that which we do not deserve. Love what Rick Warren says: “God specializes in giving people a fresh start.” We don’t deserve the fresh start – God gives it to us out of His unconditional love for us.
THE REDEMPTION – “who gave Himself for us to redeem us” – This is the climactic moment of God’s grace shown to us – when Jesus Christ gave Himself FOR us to redeem us & rescue us from sin & death & hell. The word for “for” means that He died in our behalf, in our place, as our substitute. He took our sins upon Himself for us & paid the penalty for them for us.
- Romans 5:8 – “But God demonstrates…”
THE REASONS – We were “lawless” & needed to be “purified” – We were full of lawlessness before Christ saved us – full of evil, premeditating & planning our sin & wickedness. We could not & cannot save ourselves. We could not & cannot purify ourselves from our sin. Only Jesus could & can do that.
- 1 John 1:9 – “If we confess…HE is faithful…”
- Isaiah 1:18 – “You are stained red w/ sin, but I will wash you as clean as snow. Although your stains are deep red, you will be as white as wool.” (GNT)
THE RESULT – We are now His possession & are “zealous for good works” – When Jesus saved us; when He redeemed & rescued us from our lawlessness; when He washed us & cleansed us from all our sins, we become HIS. We now belong completely to Him – His special possession.
- periousios – Only place in NT where this word appears. Means that we are a “peculiar people” (KJV) – “a chosen & very special people” (AMP); that we now belong to HIM alone. We don’t even belong to ourselves any longer.
- 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 – “…you are not your own; you were bought w/ a price…”
And when we begin to comprehend how amazing & astounding it is that Jesus Christ has redeemed us even though we are so lawless & impure, our response is to live a life that is zealous for Him! That leads to the question that is the title for the sermon today: “Are You Zealous?”
APPLICATION – Our relationship with Jesus makes us zealous for serving Him.
To be zealous means that you are ardently active, devoted, or diligent. It means that you are passionate, devoted, fervent, eager, & enthusiastic. It means that you are on fire. Make sure you are zealous for the right things.
Unfortunately, we see lots of people whose zeal is misguided & misplaced.
- Politics/Political personalities/Conspiracies
- Sports/Sports teams – Have to be careful about “smack talk” w/ some folks.